Providing the serial number...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jedolley, Sep 2, 2012.

1. jedolley macrumors 68000

I'm trying to sell my iMac and have posted it here as well other sites. I received an email response from my Craiglist posting stating that blurring out the serial # made my listing look shady and like "spam". Obviously that is not my intention, and blurred it out just for "safety" reasons. I'm not sure what can be done if I show that info if anything at all, and if it is completely safe then I have no problem showing it? What do you guys think?

2. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

I think it's reasonable for you to explain that a journalist recently had his MacBook remotely wiped by hackers who were able to obtain very little information about him. And so you're concerned about letting people get your serial number and email address. Then explain that you are the original owner and you can provide the original receipt with serial number to the buyer. (assuming that's true)

3. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

I don't think I would show the serial # of my iMac on Craigslist.

You should display it so you don't have to blur out the serial number. Out of sight out of mind.

4. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

IIRC if you log into Apple's support, and check if if a product still has a warranty via serial #

You could print the screen and blur the SN# but prove you have a valid Mac ?

5. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

That's exactly what I have done. I took screen shots of the support page and the "About This Mac" screen, but blurred out the SN.