Proving your identity

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Locker, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Locker macrumors 6502

My apologies if this is in the wrong area, but how can you safely prove your online identity?

I ask this because I want to sell something to someone online, but they (understandably) want proof of my identity before continuing. They've asked for a scan of my passport or driving licence - is it safe to give that information out? Are there any other good ways of proving who you are?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Of course, it's not safe to give out such information! Just remember, any information you email or post or send via chat is subject to being stolen and used for any purpose whatsoever. Identity theft happens daily. Take it offline and talk by phone. And remember your phone number can be used to track you, as well!

3. poppero macrumors member

i'd avoid to give personal data to unknown people! have you ever eard about identity theft? social networks are good place for this king of things, let them be the one!
    there are several other ways to prove your honesty such as feedback system in ebay, try to use something similar which don't disclose your identity and privacy.

4. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

find a different buyer.

5. johndatserakis macrumors member

Do not give them a picture of your id and passport.

That's like them asking, "Can I have everything I need to screw you? Thanks!"

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

there's no reason to have to prove your identity to sell something online. Ignore the requests.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No way should you give out that kind of information. Instead, if possible, try and meet the buyers in person to make the sale. Meet in a public place, deal in cash, and ask a friend to come with you.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Next up, he wants to do the transaction via Western Union. :rolleyes:

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

scam

find another buyer...he is going to use that information to apply for credit in your name.

10. jdechko macrumors 68040

Not sure if this helps as I don't know the details, but you could write your ebay username on a slip of paper and photograph the paper with the item. Then you could email the potential buyer that picture. I've seen it done with a lot of items before (like video game consoles shortly after their release).

11. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Why do they want you to prove your identity?

Giving out such information is NOT safe, and I wouldn't do it.

12. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

By the way, can I also have your car keys? I need it as proof you own the vehicle. And yes, I do need to test drive it as well.

13. Locker thread starter macrumors 6502

This is for a sale which would have taken place between me and another forum member (not on here - some other forums). The forum member seems pretty reputable and it's fair enough that he wants me to prove who I am before he sends me money? After all - I could just receive the money and not post the item! I wouldn't want to send money to a stranger if I were him.

But yes, I've steered clear and have suggested listing the item on eBay for him to immediately purchase - that way we're both covered. Looks like that's what's going to happen :)

For those interested, I found a short video explaining the risks of giving out driving licence details here.