provisioning paradox

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by jagatnibas, Nov 22, 2011.

1. jagatnibas macrumors regular

recently one developer told me that he has a developer account [not team agent], and he added a device udid and sent a build [.app and .provisionprofile], which the user was able to sync into his device using iTunes. Is it possible ? what i knew till date was that only ad-hoc builds can be synced through iTunes.

secondly, if we have a 299$ account, using that can we make a build for our application which can be installed in innumerable devices [no udid required ? ]

regards

2. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

There is no such thing as an .app, it's an .ipa, but yes, if you send the .ipa and .provisioningProfile to your client, or adhoc testers, they can put it on via iTunes if their UID is in there, OR they can double click the profile, and drag it on Xcode if it's connected. but for normal people without Xcode etc, it's best to use
    Option 1: Itunes syncing, but if you are using anothers device, this is bad
    Option 2: Apple has an App Installation Tool, seperate download for Mac/Windows, which will allow you to do the same as the Xcode part of drag and drop.
    And yes, the 299$ account .ipa build can be used on devices which aren't on the profile, but be carefull, there are (like allways with Apple), strong rules.
    If they catch you on misusing this, you will lose your license, and second, obtaining an enterprise license isn't the most easy thing, be prepared for scanning/faxing/calling alot towards :apple:

About the syncing again, afaik, it's only Ad-Hoc too that can do this, and not normal .ipa's without adhoc build profisioning.

That's my part, not sure bout rest their idea's.

3. jagatnibas thread starter macrumors regular

thanks,

my conclusion in simpler english,

ad hoc build (which is a kind of distribution build) - can be loaded through iTunes

development build - can not be loaded through iTunes

please correct me if i am wrong.

because my developer tells me that he sent me a development build and the user was able to sync through iTunes, hence I am a bit confused and sceptical. [Is this case possible ? or most likely my developer used an adhoc profile and wrongly told me that he did a development build ? ]

regards

4. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

I think it's the latter in your conclusion.
    When you have an .ipa with a NORMAL provisioning profile, and you drag it on an device which isn't on the Portal. It shouldn't build/sync with iTunes, it will sync/install, and then you get an error in Itunes saying you are not allowed or something.

5. jagatnibas thread starter macrumors regular

I am afraid I could understand it fully !

Can you please elaborate the statement

"I think it's the latter in your conclusion."

6. jagatnibas thread starter macrumors regular

The reason i am sceptical about this, because i see <MYAPPNAME>.app file in build/Debug-iphoneos/ folder not any .ipa file !

7. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

The latter in your statement, meant, the last thing you said.
    Which is, and I quote
    an .ipa is something that is the actual app to give to clients, or to the appstore, or whatever. If you want to transfer a game, these are all .ipa's, or u build them for adhoc.
    The .app is just for xcode, also for simulator. I can't confirm that 100%, but it's a hunch. I think it's for debugging purposes. not the actual app ;)

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That is correct. Apps running in the simulator are compiled for x86, linked against the Mac OSX version of Foundation :)eek:) and run in the simulator. These get .app extensions.

9. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

[​IMG]
    Enough said ;)

Edit: images still don't seem to work..
    Close Enough there it is.

10. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

Having used the Android SDK which runs its Java code on an ARM emulator, I think this is a good thing.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Running locally as x86, yes. Linking against a different version of Foundation? Less so. It means you can write code that compiles and runs in the simulator but won't compile for an actual device as it links against symbols no in the iOS version of Foundation.

12. chhodipua macrumors newbie

Hi All,

was following the discussion, further doubts crept in !

but when i build for the device, even after successful build, i dont see any .ipa file ! where exactly in my build folder this .ipa file is generated ? secondly what should i send to the person who wants to run my adhoc build ? .ipa file and .provisionprofile file zipped togather ?

13. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

You need to Archive your product to generate an .ipa...
    When you have your target as iOS device or an actual device, click at top
    Product -> Archive.
    Then, when it's in there, you can click, "Share", then generate an IPA for adhoc.
    Then share that IPA and the provisioning profile with the client. Should be done, (this is all explained 120% in Apple Docs).