Prowl - Get all your Growl notifications pushed to your iPhone! (even TWITTER!)

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by adster, Jul 6, 2009.

1. adster macrumors regular

2. Super Sneb macrumors newbie

Super Sneb

Just downloaded this and got it all set up, all i can say is it works really, really well!!

Im getting notifications for Tweetie, Transmission and NetNewsWire and it works for all of them!

3. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

So I was under the impression that you have to have your mac/pc running all the time for the this to work? Is that not the case?

4. CBJammin103 macrumors regular

CBJammin103

Wow, this is a great idea. :eek: Never occurred to me for some reason, haha. Never been much of a Growl user but I may have to consider setting up some of my workflow around it.

Can't this also basically give you push e-mail (you can get Growl notifications from Apple Mail, right?)?

5. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

Am I the only one who finds this pretty useless ? Why do I need push notifications of what I can already see on my Mac? If I was away from my Mac, and it was still on, I wouldn't really care what it was doing.

6. nutmac macrumors 68040

The whole idea is to leave certain Growl-supported apps running on the Mac all the time, such as Tweetie.

That said, I hesitate to spend money on a push app from a small developer. If the developer goes out of business, so will their server that interfaces with Apple Push Notification Service (APNs). No server, no push notification.

7. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

I understand that. I just think leaving your machine on all the time just for that seems a little OTT.

8. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

Must be. I just installed it and it's brilliant. I'm now getting notifications when my downloads complete and when netnewswire gets new RSS items. Amazing.

Ah perhaps, I see your point. I have several machines and leave stuff running on my server. I could see how if you only have one machine it may be less useful.

9. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

Oh. OK :D

Ahh, I feel better now :)

10. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I think many people leave their computers on all the time anyway.

11. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

This app sounds pretty cool. I'm thinking of setting up my home mac with Growl for stuff and then using this app for Twitter, mail updates and such.

12. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Yup.
    I never turn mine off. Don't see the need.

13. almostaskater62 macrumors regular

this app is pretty sweet, i just got it and set it up.
    i was waiting for facebook to add push, and i didn't want to spend the money on beejive or whatever else, and this consolidates all those im clients as well as adding transmission and other stuff.
    also the biggest problem with aim push and stuff was that when you were at your computer you still got push im's to your phone, and this app has an option to only send pushes when the computer's been idle for a certain amount of time, great idea.
    i rarely turn off my computer, and if i do i wouldn't be getting messages from people anyway, so this is i must say a great idea and implementation.

14. TwelfthAG macrumors newbie

To not waste electricity?

15. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Slightly off topic but what the hell.

Boiling a kettle uses more electricity than leaving your average Intel-powered Mac running for six hours straight. Thank OS X power management for that.

16. Online macrumors member

I emailed the maker to see if they plan on making a plug in for Windows. I hope so. This would be nice.

17. bigrobb macrumors 6502a

I bought this and downloaded the plugin for mac and set it up when I hit preview it sent a test to my phone but other than that I haven't gotten a single notification on my phone and some emails have come and messages on adium on my computer but they don't come on the phone I thought I had it set up right I will have to look again

18. badgerman macrumors 6502a

You have to make prowl default or configure each app with prowl and add the details.

It works rather well, shame need mac running 24/7.

19. bigrobb macrumors 6502a

it started working sometime overnight i didnt change anything in the settings when i woke this morning it was working its still working now

20. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Maybe you have the idle timer set higher than you've realized?

21. Online macrumors member

Got a email back. Add it is good news for us Windows folk.

22. Online macrumors member

Ok, well it is now updated for Windows. That was fast.

23. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

For you geeks out there... there is a perl script written to use this service...

http://prowl.weks.net/static/prowl.pl

I am going to use this + my tivo monitoring stuff to notify me for each time a show is recorded. I have SO many possibilities for this stuff now...

UPDATE: That was easy! Took me 15 minutes to make the modifications. This is very nice. Now I can have my firewall and other stuff send me push notifications for important stuff. Now time to integrate with Nagios for corporate monitoring.

24. SkillsToShow macrumors regular

This app is amazing, can see many uses with this.

25. jaycarroll macrumors regular

Wow, that got my attention. Any luck with Nagios? It'd be cool to integrate with Keynote as well.