Prox sensor fix IS hardware!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ohla313, Aug 29, 2010.

1. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I went to the Apple Store today because of my switches being loose and clacky. The Genius replaced it but the issues were still there but wouldn't budge on swapping it again. He did mention that I was getting a brand new iPhone, serial number started with 7U and he mentioned that this was with the proximity sensor fix! I said that I heard it was software related and he said no and that Apple had done a hardware fix. Pretty trippy! People grab your pitchforks! I don't know how I can validate the claim other than maybe canning my receipt? But it is 2AM here so I'll scan later.

Anyone else know that the prox sensor is a hardware fix?

2. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Not to burst your bubble, but I think he told you this because it was meant to stop the whole discussion on Prox Issues.

The above is NOT true. Apple has not officially stated anything about a hardware fix. You must remember that these "Genius's" are just people working retail. They know very little about the inner workings of the company and are more CSR then "Apple" employee's.

Never take a genius's word for anything. One genius told me that Apple already released a software fix (prox issue) for OS 4 and it was called OS 4.0.1.

3. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

oh but i didn't even mention the prox. sensor issue to him. why would he mention it randomly?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I heard alot of people with the 4.1 betas stating that their prox sensor issues have stopped since they updated.
    Now some say Apple cant fix it. Dont know what to think but wait for 4.1 and then if its still not resolved go for a swap.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It doesn't matter why. The fact is, he has NO information you don't have on the issue.

If he tells you it's hardware and then your barbar tells you it's software then you have 2 opinions that mean the exact same amount.

Sorry, he was just trying to get rid of you quicker by making stuff up. No news here.

6. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

7. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

8. Brinkman macrumors 6502

Brinkman

They'll say anything to get you out of there.

9. Worthy.Of.Ed macrumors newbie

Apple Store employees are retards!

I was in there the other day, and there were a few guy that didn't even know that the iPad 3G has a compass!

It's pathetic how little they actually know about the products they sell.

Every time I go in there, I am extremely unimpressed with the amount of knowledge these employees have. With such an extensive hiring process, you'd think they'd find some quality people.

10. James Howlett macrumors member

And yet i can't get hired in the tech industry, I'm a server, so its not like I'm anti social, but I can't stand going to a store and asking the employees about a product I know a little about and have the first thing they says be untrue, I don't wanna say they are lying, they are just ignorant

11. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

In defense of the people working retail in general, I can say that the companies rarely tell their people on the ground everything they need to know.

Back when I worked electronics retail, the only information we got about products was the standard marketing ********, which of course tells us nothing about the products themselves.

Often, without any prep, we'd have products just show up in the warehouse with instructions to put them on the floor. No prior info, no sales prep, nothing!

I imagine Apple is a bit better than this complete lack of communication, but still, it's not the fault of the people on the ground, Apple obviously isn't telling them enough.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No, that's not the case here.

For example, not knowing if the iPad has a compass or not is a lack of training. Saying "serial numbers starting with 7U have a hardware change" is just a lie.

Not the same thing, really.

13. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

So, are you saying is that some of the geniuses are real morons?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes:D

15. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

Funny I have a Dev License and the Proximity Sensor issue has been fixed via 4.1 b3 and will be resolved when iOS 4.1 is Officially Released;)

16. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

your signature made me laugh

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats good to hear.
    I really hope you're right:)

18. adztaylor macrumors 68000

This is true, having worked in retail while I was going through university they very rarely tell you anything about the products.

But with this case the employee has just flat out lied to the customer and told a load of crap. Not knowing and lying are two completely different things.

19. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

oh wow. that "genius" was a douche and now further fuels my hatred of apple employees. maybe i should call a higher up and get his ass canned.