Prox sensor will not be fixed in 4.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andru1313, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

And when is that time exactly?

As far as I know, Apple said nothing about the 4.1 release date timeframe. It could be released tomorrow, it could be released in 4 months. That's plenty of time to fix it if you ask me. LOL :rolleyes:

2. ddavid macrumors regular

"According to Apple Australia spokesperson" They couldn't find anyone in the US to talk to them so they went down under?

I wish Jizmodo would go away...

3. shandyman Suspended

4.1 will be released to enable game center, which is due in the fall, to tie in with the new iPod touch being announced. so current guesstimate is that 4.1 will come out after the event in a few days...

4. ddavid macrumors regular

You sound quite sure of this.

5. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

FWIW, 9-to-5 appears to be quoting the same source.

6. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

how do we even know for sure the issue can be fixed with software?

And yes, I am aware of what Steve said. But is there actually proof that it's not a hardware issue?

The reason I ask is, I have had 0 issues with my sensor. I know a lot of people have been having issues though. So if we're all on the same software, I can only assume it's a hardware thing. Just guessing though, I'm not trying to start any arguments.

7. adztaylor macrumors 68000

That's exactly what I've been thinking all along. I've had no issues with the sensor either. How can it be software if not everyone is having the issue?

8. TrojanCMH macrumors newbie

Shape and size of ears combined with how you hold your phone up to your face would be why some get it and some don't.

9. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I'm not sure if I buy that- is there really more than one way to hold a phone up to your face? People have been doing this the same way for decades.

I understand some people might hold it further or closer, or use the speakerphone in a liquor store so the whole world can hear their conversation, but I'm willing to bet close to 100% of the people out there all hold their phones the same way while on a call.

10. shandyman Suspended

well it all makes perfect sense really. iBooks came out with 4.0, so logically they'd release Game Center in the same fashion, with a major release, they would do a big launch for game center showing off it's features, since the event in a coupla days will include the ipod touch refresh, they would take advantage of showing it off then. it's all timed really well, so why have game center , iPad's iOS4, new ipod touches and a big update to 4.0 being 4.1 all being released at different points in the fall when they have the event lined up in a few days, more cost efficient too rather than having an event for the ipod, then one for iOS4 and one for game center surely...

11. ianray macrumors 6502

Seems logical :)

There's not been any iPad betas, so I assume iOS 4 for iPad will be version 4.2 (or above).

12. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Good questions all.

I believe it's possible for this to be software despite the apparent 'either you have it or you don't' nature of this fault. Here's how - Some combination of 3rd party apps AND the accompanying usage of those apps, triggers a race condition where the OS can't decide if you're on a headset/speaker phone or the ear speaker.

If (and it's a big IF, I know) this were the case, then even setting up a replacement phone as 'New' could still get you back to this condition if you eventually load the same 3rd party apps as you had before and use them the same way.

For it to be purely a hardware problem would seem to be much simpler for Apple to have solved as a rolling change on the line by now. We'd be hearing about that in the form of a conclusive 'after week XX they all work' ground swell here. Since some of even the most recently produced units have the problem, it must not be as simple as a bad batch of sensors.

I think this will turn out to be one of those freaky problems we software engineers have all come across that you talk about for years because it was just so darn difficult to nail down.

13. shandyman Suspended

i'm going with 4.1 so it's in line with all the other iOS devices :)

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Sept 1st or a few days later just like they did with 3.1 when the 3GS came out.

15. celticpride678

I don't think there's any doubt that GameCenter will be included in 4.1, but it will probably come out the same day as the keynote, not after.

16. shandyman Suspended

when i said after, i mean after the event, as in on the day, just to clarify. they won't release it during....

17. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That simply doesn't make any sense.

I think it's more a combination of:

-Different usage patterns: I was 2nd in line on launch day, and my iPhone 4 only has 3 hours and 38 minutes of calls on it, and most of that is me just playing around with the phone. I just don't use the phone feature that much, so I haven't experienced the issue. I also tend to use the headset that's included with the phone, so I'm not holding it to my ear. Other people will no doubt have similar experiences using the phone on speaker mode or with a headset.

-Differing environmental conditions: The sensor uses Infra-red to detect when the phone is being held near to an object (usually the user's face). Background IR signals will vary depending on the situation that the phone is being used in such as different lighting conditions indoors and outdoors.

-Some hardware variance: It does seem quite likely that given the reports from different people and the limited amount Apple has said, that some phones will encounter the problem more often. This isn't necessarily a fault with a specific phone or set of phones, but rather something that the software isn't dealing with properly.

Apple obviously needs to ensure that the screen turns off/on when it should, but given the above that can be difficult.

18. jasonforisrael macrumors regular

this has to be hardware inconsistency.

i have a week 32 and i have no issues with proximity sensor. although the antenna issue is readily apparent if you play your finger over the slit on the left side. i've used the phone a ton without the prox sensor malfunctioning once.

19. Avizzv92 macrumors regular

I'm new iPhone 4 user and seemingly ignorant to the proximity sensor glitch. I haven't called anyone a whole lot yet, so is there any sure fired way to test if your iPhone has this proximity sensor glitch? Or is it just random?

20. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

My phone is weird... It has a barely noticable antenna issue (the Grip of Death only affects signal if you grip it hard enough to cut off circulation) but the proximity sensor goes nuts when my screen protector is covered with greasy fingerprints or face oil. Might be a screen protector + greasy face issue.