Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anyjungleinguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2012
I've got an iPhone 5 running 7.0.3.

Is the Proximity Sensor always supposed to be on? Whenever the screen is on, in a darkened room, the red glow from the Proximity Sensor is always there. You can verify it any lighting condition by viewing it through a camera.

I saw this for the first time last night after resetting the Settings to see if I could fix a bit of battery drain I've had for the past couple of days. I'm 90% sure this always on Proximity Sensor has just occurred on my iPhone because I fail to see how I couldn't have noticed this red light before - it's pretty damn noticeable.

'Raise to Speak' is turned off and I'm not in a call, so why would the Proximity Sensor always be on? I've also tried turning off Auto Brightness but that doesn't work either.

I've tried turning off and on, hard reset etc but it's still there.

I've done some research on the issue and I've found a few threads on the Apple Support forums that mention this and there doesn't seem to be a fix, but unfortunately most searches including the words 'proximity sensor' bring up issues with the screen not turning off during calls. Some posts state that it's normal, but it doesn't seem to happen to everyone. Furthermore, from other people's accounts, clean restores don't seem to fix it leading some people to think it's a hardware issue. I'm set to do a clean restore to see if that fixes it but I'd just like to see if anyone on here has the same issue.

Can anyone here replicate it? Go to a completely darkened room and unlock your iPhone. Touch the screen and you might be able to see a red glow coming from just left of the speaker. It seems to darken slightly before becoming brighter when the screen is touched. If you don't see the red glow, try turning on 'Raise to Speak' for Siri and then reboot your phone.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I've got an iPhone 5 running 7.0.3.

Is the Proximity Sensor always supposed to be on? Whenever the screen is on, in a darkened room, the red glow from the Proximity Sensor is always there. You can verify it any lighting condition by viewing it through a camera.

I saw this for the first time last night after resetting the Settings to see if I could fix a bit of battery drain I've had for the past couple of days. I'm 90% sure this always on Proximity Sensor has just occurred on my iPhone because I fail to see how I couldn't have noticed this red light before - it's pretty damn noticeable.

'Raise to Speak' is turned off and I'm not in a call, so why would the Proximity Sensor always be on? I've also tried turning off Auto Brightness but that doesn't work either.

I've tried turning off and on, hard reset etc but it's still there.

I've done some research on the issue and I've found a few threads on the Apple Support forums that mention this and there doesn't seem to be a fix, but unfortunately most searches including the words 'proximity sensor' bring up issues with the screen not turning off during calls. Some posts state that it's normal, but it doesn't seem to happen to everyone. Furthermore, from other people's accounts, clean restores don't seem to fix it leading some people to think it's a hardware issue. I'm set to do a clean restore to see if that fixes it but I'd just like to see if anyone on here has the same issue.

Can anyone here replicate it? Go to a completely darkened room and unlock your iPhone. Touch the screen and you might be able to see a red glow coming from just left of the speaker. It seems to darken slightly before becoming brighter when the screen is touched. If you don't see the red glow, try turning on 'Raise to Speak' for Siri and then reboot your phone.

Been that way for me since I got my 4S a few years ago (and now with my iPhone 5). I've noticed it, but everything I've ever read says it's normal. I have great battery life, never have issues with it working during phone calls, etc.

What's your concern?

anyjungleinguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2012
It's just something I never noticed before, so when I first saw this always on glowing red light I thought it might have been contributing to my battery drain.

I guess if it's the same did other people though, it's nothing to worry about.

It's a bit weird though, that on some of the Apple Support forum threads people can see it on their own phone but not on their relatives. I'll link to the threads when I get home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.