Proximity Sensor > Antenna Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OnNightfall, Jul 1, 2010.

1. OnNightfall macrumors regular

At least with the Antenna Issue you can use a case. The Proximity Sensor has no temporary fix. And no, the Reset All Settings does not fix the problem. For the people that think they have an iphone without this problem listen up. Sure if your holding the phone up to your ear it will not happen. Try holding it with your shoulder while doing a couple things and get back to me. :mad: This issue better have a fix soon or I'm returning the phone.

2. coasterider macrumors regular

Use a Bluetooth headset if its that bad. I've had no problems.

SJ: "Maybe you are holding it wrong?"

3. Luminyx macrumors member

Sorry for my ignorance, but could someone explain to me the proximity sensor problem?

4. drtimo macrumors member

Use the hands-free earphones provided.

S.J.

Sent from My Iphone 3GS (as no reception on my Iphone 4)

:):)

5. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

The sensor that identifies if the phone is up to your head or not is way too sensitive. It was moved in order to accommodate the front facing camera. While holding the phone with your shoulder your face will trigger the phone to go on Speaker, Hit Keypad, Mute the call, Add a call, Start FaceTime, and even call a Conract. I multitask a lot so I'm not always holding the phone with my hand.

As far as using a bluetooth headset and or the headphones. That's pathetic. Why should I have to use another device to remedy this situation. My fear is theirs not a whole lot of noise about this issue and it might go overlooked. Where is 4.0.1!!!

6. PantherJeep macrumors member

PantherJeep

As I understand it, people are reporting that the screen will reactivate while the surface of the phone is in contact with their face.

Thankfully :)confused: ) I have a bad disc in my neck that prevents me cradling a cell phone between my shoulder and ear, so I have not experienced this problem. But testing the proximity sensor on my device, it appears to disable the screen when the sensor is ~½-inch away from any surface during a call. So if you position the phone between your shoulder & ear I can see where a >½-inch gap could be present between the sensor and one's face.

7. Luminyx macrumors member

Ahh thank you for this clarification. I have not noticed this since I only use speakerphone (since the original film is still on and I have not cut a hole for the earpiece).

8. PantherJeep macrumors member

PantherJeep

For starters, because you'll eventually end up like my stupid ass and end up with arthritis and a blown disc in your neck. Ever see someone using the phone with a huge shoulder pad attached to the full-size phone handset that they're cradling on their shoulder? It ain't there for good looks...

9. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

10. Reser macrumors 6502

At least with the proximity sensor problem you can go and BLOODY return it for a working replacement, with antenna issue there is NO working replacements and apple no longer will even try to replace them.

The proximity sensor problem is incredible rare compared to antenna problem.

Also i hope you go drop/break your iPhone, what sort of idiot holds their iPhone 4 up with their shoulder.

Go cry more please.

11. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, you must be no more than 16 years old. "i hope you go drop/break your iPhone" I've owned 2 iphones before this one and I always hold the phone with my shoulder when doing other things. If you are incapable of doing this than it doesn't make the rest of the world idiots. Admins please ban this guy.

12. galenmd macrumors regular

^ +1

Are the replacements definitely better as far as this issue is concerned?

13. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

Good question, I'd like to know too.

14. PennStateMatt macrumors newbie

Umm wow are you really retarded? This is a big issue. Even holding the phone is causing this sensor the be screwed up. This problem is NOT rare. Replacing it will NOT help. I'd rather keep my hand away from the antenna then constantly hold my phone. There are alot of people who talk balancing the phone with their shoulder, you act like it's impossible. Not everyone is retarded and can't balance it like you.

15. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

My proximity sensor was not working at all and I went to the Genius Bar yesterday, thinking I'd probably need to swap the hardware. They first tried a hard reset, and after that it worked fine! I was kind of embarrassed because I'm usually not one to forget to try a reboot first.

16. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

This is good to know if it is not working at all but if it is too sensitive like most people are experiencing this might not fix the issue.

17. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

My prox sensor was a mess 2 days ago, a reboot cleaned it up and it's perfect now.

18. jameskk macrumors regular

What do you mean by a hard reset?

19. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

You don't have to be cradling the phone on your shoulder. I just hold it with my right hand like I always did and now the display comes on at random times and my faces activates any of the buttons.

20. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Maybe bad choice of terminology, but I mean holding HOME and SLEEP for 10 seconds until it reboots to the Apple logo.

21. galenmd macrumors regular

Why is this not reported on the MacRumors main news page? This is a huge defect! I agree, even bigger than the signal strength issue (well, at least for me).

I have accidentally hung up on multiple people today. This is while holding the phone as correctly as I possibly can.

I will not exchange my phone until I see that they have a addressed this problem more thoroughly.

22. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

I know right! I got 23 more days and if it's not fixed within that time I will be returning the phone because this is a huge issue.

23. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Both my wife and I have been having an issue with our proximity sensors not working as of late, resulting in hanging up on people because the "END CALL" button would be pressed by our faces. Very frustrating.

24. stlmarine macrumors newbie

I returned mine and now I don’t have that problem at all... My new phone has not done the proximity thing but it’ll still hang up on your ass for lack of a decent signal!!!!