Proximity Sensor Issue Solved

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by x986, Jul 22, 2010.

1. x986 macrumors regular

My first phone (week 27 build) had it. It was a real mess. Two days ago Applecare set up a replacement phone at the local Apple store. They did not want to do the exchange, but they did.

My new phone is also a week 27 build. When I synced it, I did it as an old phone, not new, so that should not have changed anything. I have over two hours of talking with NO ISSUES. It is the phone we all want, and some were lucky enough to get right out of the box.

This is admittedly a study of one, (although 'some' other people have said their replacements solved the issue). In my mind this has to be a simple QC issue. Is it a bad batch of components? Imprecise manufacturing tolerences? I'll leave that up to the people who are paid to solve the problem. Good quality control is paramount.

2. gecis macrumors regular

I am with you. I haven't been able to replicate this issue on my replacement phone. The first one was pita. I was almost about to return the phone for good. It could be a hardware issue with the initial batch.

3. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

why would Apple not mention anything? They would not do a replacement at the apple store for my issue.

4. x986 thread starter macrumors regular

When has Apple EVER admitted anything? ('We're not perfect' doesn't quite cut it.)

5. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

6. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

I'm sorta confused about this proximity sensor issue.
    what is the whole problem? the proximity sensor doesnt turn the screen off quickly?

Mine works exactly the same as my other first gen iphone (i think).

7. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

you would know if you had the problem. when your on a call you press buttons on the screen i have pressed numbers and the mute on a few different occasions.

8. x986 thread starter macrumors regular

If you're confused, you don't have it. Since (if) it is a QC issue, not everyone has it. Unlike the 99% antenna problem, who knows what the percentage of PS problems is?

9. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

My wife's phone had major proximity sensor issues (preordered). She initially set it up by restoring her last 3G backup...but a few days ago we did a fresh set up as a new phone. So far, no issues. I'll give it a larger sample size before going back and demanding a replacement.

10. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

Mine is a week 27, and i restored as a new phone, and apparently i dont have the issue. i think it was the 'restore as new phone' that did it

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

I have a week 22 phone and the only issue is the grip of death.

12. Andru1313 macrumors regular

I am on my 3rd IP4 all have suffered from the PS issue.

13. alexph macrumors regular

Mine is a week 21. I haven't had the GoD issue but had the proximirty sensor issue, until I did a reinstall as a new phone - no problems since

:)

14. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

15. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I don't think very many people are having issues with the antenna. I do have the PS issue, but I'll wait to see if they actually have a software fix.

16. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

Same here.

17. doboy macrumors 68000

week 27 for me. I keep trying to PRODUCE the proximity sensor issue, but can't. I wave my hand close to the sensor, but no problem. For me, the screen wakes up slightly slower for my taste.:D

18. jeffg819 macrumors regular

Strange. My iPhone 4 had the proximity issue for a few days. All kinds of weird things happening while on a call. Since about week 2 of ownership, the issues are gone. Have no idea what I changed on the phobe.

19. blazinz macrumors regular

let me try asking this again,

are you guys doing this through itunes or on the phone itself in settings?

if i do this will i have to rebuy apps and setup my contacts, email and things of the like again, basically will i lose everything by doing this..???:confused:

20. headcheese macrumors regular

n00b :)

Do a little research before asking such a rediculous question man. Do you really think that?

21. blazinz macrumors regular

i have looked and in other threads hence the reason im asking such a "ridiculous question man" (check your sp). Would i be asking such a "ridiculous question" if i knew the answer... :rolleyes:

22. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Yes, you do this in iTunes, choose Restore and when prompted, restore as new not from a backup. You will not lose your apps, you may have to re-login to some of them and you will need to reset a lot of settings. Make sure you sync your contacts to another source before you do this, also done in iTunes.

23. UCF-ENG macrumors regular

I have it and it's driving me absolutely crazy.

If you want to see if your phone has the problem try holding it with your shoulder against your cheek, that gets me every time. Of course I end up face timing, holding, hanging up, or three waying calls all the time holding it normal, but what the heck, par for the course with this phone.

It's amazing how I never had these problems with my 3GS...

24. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I fail to understand how Apple plans to fix this issue via software. Some people have it, others don't, but we all have the same firmware. Call me old fashioned, but this has usually meant a hardware issue in the past.

Maybe Apple's "fix" is just the beginning of Sensorgate.

25. galenmd macrumors regular

Even if some phones are not having the problem, a software fix could still be applied.

FYI, I just got off the phone with Apple support. They said that a software update has been confirmed, but he was unable to provide details (i.e.: 4.1 or a separate update).