Proximity sensor problem....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gravytrain84, Jul 11, 2010.

1. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

I know this is a common problem but It has just recently started bothering the **** out of me. I constantly mute or speakerphone just about every call I make. Question is... Has anyone spoken with apple reps and what are their responses? Is this a problem that can/will be fixed with a software update or is this a permanant hardware problem? How can apple test phones and not notice this before release? blows my mind....:mad: FTR, This has been my first and only complaint about the IP4, Its a great electronic piece besides from this flaw imo.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not post in the long proximity sensor thread instead of creating a new one.

3. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Bc I don't have 4 hours to read through the whole thread and the first few pages did not mention an answer to my question. Thanks for your worthless input though. :D

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I've heard doing a "reset all settings" works for many. I, personally, have had no proximity sensor problems. Which is weird that some have it and others don't.

5. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

I just did this and it cleared my PS problem up. My issue is when I made a call the sensor Wouldn't put the screen back on.

6. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

I know, I'm not usually one to complain either but its getting to be quite annoying and I just want to know if its something that can be fixed or do I need to return it..

7. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I'm curious now. Try the reset and let us know if that works for you.

8. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

I'm on the phone with apple right now and the guy said hes going to set me up for a repair?? Not sure what that means yet..

9. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

10. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Yes, still doing it

11. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Just got off the phone with apple, they're sending a new phone to me. He said its an issue they are having with the PS not keeping the screen off during phonecalls.

12. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Reset all settings didn't work for me either. I got a replacement phone, and it still didn't work. Of course when I was in the apple store, I couldn't replicate the problem. :(. Kinda hard when not actually using it in the real world.

13. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Well I'm hoping the new one they are sending me does not have the problem....

14. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

I'm on #2 iPhone4 and its the same so don't hold your breath.... I was SO excited to finally get my replacement phone and then I set it up a new phone and made a call and low and behold guess what.... these phones are just basically junk!

I'm about 1 week away from after being a loyal iPhone fan from launch day in 2007 to dumping this horrible piece of junk for well... just about any other phone that actually works AS A PHONE!!

15. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

it's cause the sensor is so high up, hold it lower or wait, i'm willing to bet the next os patch will increase the threshold for how the phone responds to the sensor making this problem disappear for most of us

it happens to me but very rarely and i can see when I do it that it directly relates to how I'm holding it... so.....

you're holding it wrong :D

if you look at a pic of the white iphone you can see exactly where the sensor is