Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkgremio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
If Apple chooses UPS as there shipping provider for the Apple Watch (Hopefully because they used them for the iPhone release.) Will I get my item sooner if I live in close proximity to Louisville, KY. since that's the main UPS air hub?

My sorting facility is the next one after Louisville. So it takes a package to go through Louisville, then Bowling Green and its on the truck for delivery. Can anyone confirm this will cut down in transit time?

Thanks!

MattXDA

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2014
UK
Usually the driver goes furthest away first and ends up closest to the depot at the end of the day, or so I've heard!

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
It will not if you are in the initial group for April 24 delivery. In that case, UPS/FEDEX arrange their delivery schedules so the items are delivered on a certain day, meaning packages that have to travel farther are shipped out earlier.

In normal delivery, yes, you will probably get it a day or two earlier. I am in Hawaii and hate watching deliveries literally fly over my island, 7,000 miles past it to Kentucky, then have to wait for it to come back. But for Apple products this has not really led to any delayed deliveries for me.

darkgremio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
Not quite worried about delivery time per se, mostly transit times in the UPS system. I should of put faster transit in the thread title, sorry.

I'm in the first wave of orders (4/24-05/08)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
First of all, no deliveries will be made before the launch date, so if your watch is in the batch that is to be delivered on April 24, it doesn't matter where you are, you'll get it on the 24th.

If you are in a batch to be delivered sometimes after April 24th, well... It's not like delivery trucks go directly from the main hub to individual customers. There's at least one more stop along the way, from main hub to regional distribution center.

To give a specific example, I live in NYC. UPS shipments from China arrive in Kentucky hub early in the morning of the delivery date (like 3-6 am), then get on a truck to Pennsylvania / New Jersey, then get on a delivery truck that makes the rounds of NYC. So I get them later in the day it arrived in Kentucky.

A package on the same flight from China going to somewhere in Kentucky also gets put on a truck to a distribution center in Kentucky, where it gets put on local delivery trucks. So a person living in Kentucky gets his package the same day as a person in NYC, give or take a few hours.

darkgremio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
map_0214.gif

This says otherwise.

djuzi

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2013
I hope we have the option to pick up from the sorting center on delivery day like I have before with iPhones.

Then I can get pick up my watch at 8 AM rather than sitting around until sometimes 8PM for delivery :D

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
It will not if you are in the initial group for April 24 delivery. In that case, UPS/FEDEX arrange their delivery schedules so the items are delivered on a certain day, meaning packages that have to travel farther are shipped out earlier.

In normal delivery, yes, you will probably get it a day or two earlier. I am in Hawaii and hate watching deliveries literally fly over my island, 7,000 miles past it to Kentucky, then have to wait for it to come back. But for Apple products this has not really led to any delayed deliveries for me.

I am on Kauai and I agree how painful it is to know how much further they shipped them. It hurts MORE to see it sit in Honolulu overnight.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
I live in Louisville (UPS shipping hub) and have always received my pre-orders on the launch date, usually around late morning / early afternoon.

I might be receiving them an hour or so before folks in Michigan, Nebraska, wherever but I'm sure it's not a significant difference.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

This says otherwise.

Hmmm, for regular deliveries, I'm sure that's the case. Launch day deliveries of Apple products get treated as if they were priority shipping. I know I've often watched my iPhones and iPads land in Kentucky and get delivered later the same day in NYC.

It will be interesting how watch deliveries are treated after the 24th. I'm in the May 13-27 batch, so I'll see.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
i believe apple would probably use air shipping for at least the first wave of shipping. there will barely be any difference

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Even if it gets there before the 24th, it will be held until then. Apple tells the delivery companies to hold launch product deliveries until the launch date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.