Prozac anyone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by likemyorbs, Feb 4, 2012.

1. likemyorbs, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Last week, i was finally diagnosed with OCD and anxiety disorder. I finally have an explanation for all the problems i've been dealing with since childhood. Recently, it has gotten to the point of self mutilation (not cutting), and that's why i finally decided to seek medical help. My doctor told me i have a chemical imbalance in my brain and i don't produce enough serotonin. He prescribed me Prozac. I'm generally not a fan of anti-depressants, and i was very upset that it has gotten to the point where i clearly need it. However, i've accepted that it's not my fault and if i need it there is no shame in taking it. My doctor warned me the first couple of weeks will be tough, but no matter what just stick with it and don't miss a day. I've been feeling extreme anxiety and experiencing insomnia, i'm on day 5 right now. Is there anyone here who is also on prozac? How long did it take for the negative side effects to go away when you first started taking it? I need some support here, I'm having a really hard time. I'm just glad my doctor warned me in advance because i would be freaking out now. I just walk around exhausted and yawning all day, I'm so tired....

2. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Hey Orbs, I have been taking 20mg of Paroxetine HCL for so long now that I can never stop taking them. Sort of hooked for life on a SSRI. I'm fairly sure that it's a form of Prozac.

Knocked me around for the first month or so, and if I miss a day, I'll be very nasty to be around. Severe and rapid withdrawal symptoms. Don't know if this helps. Oh I have 27 pills to pop each day. If I took them all at once I could skip a meal.

KGB:cool:

3. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Don't be ashamed! Depression is not a made up thing, it's a disease. As are OCD and anxiety disorders. Just because it's not something you can physically see, doesn't mean there isn't a problem up there.
    I work at a pharmacy and theres lots of people on these types of medications, it's normal.
    You should be warned that in the first couple of weeks, you might feel over whelming urges to do something to yourself. Please keep your head up and work through it! If prozac doesn't work, there are many other meds you can try. Don't be discouraged when something doesn't work. It just means it's not for you.
    I hope the best for you both :)

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I've been on 20mg of Celexa for the last 10 years, and they were no problem starting. :confused: Like you, I should have had them much earlier, as we now know my family is prone to serotonin issues.

Prozac is old-school now in think, insofar as SSRI's are concerned.

5. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I hope it works right away for you. One of my relatives had to go trough 4 different antidepressants before settling on Cymbalta. However once you get the right one, it works.

6. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Prozac definitely is very old school, my doctor refers to it as ol' reliable. They applied for a patent in 1977. I read a lot of reviews on it and many people said they've tried other medications and ended up going back to prozac because it worked best. So i guess that's why my doctor decided to try the most common one first.

Consciously i know that, but sometimes i have to remind myself of it. I doubt myself a lot, especially because this country is so over medicated.

7. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Have you considered adding moderate exercise into your daily routine? Peer-reviewed research has shown that moderate exercise can be as effective as medication for mild to moderate depression, and many papers (and sources like the Mayo Clinic) demonstrate some similar benefits for anxiety.

If you don't have access to any fitness equipment some studies show even walking at a low intensity can confer many positive benefits to someone suffering from depression. I can also recommend books or online resources for exercise programs if you like; it is what I do for a living afterall.

(Obviously I'm not suggesting that you throw your medication away and ignore your doctor's orders!)

8. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I most certainly do have access to fitness equipment, seeing how i work at a gym. :D And you're right, it's a well known fact that exercise helps fight depression and anxiety. Unfortunately, my condition is far from moderate, i pick at my scalp.

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Anxiety exacerbates OCDs so I would really try to get that anxiety sorted out. Tell them that you're having a rough time and ask if they can give you a prescription for something like Valium or Lorazepam to get you through the weirdness of SSRI building-up in your system before it balances out.