Prozac for dogs?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iBlazed, Oct 31, 2014.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

This is truly a first world problem. My dog has severe anxiety, and is therefore stuck in the house most of the time. I can't take him for walks because were unable to ever leash train him, and if I try and take him for a walk on the trail he will just sit down and start shaking and whining. I tried all sorts of behavioral solutions and trainers, but to no avail. Tried that thunder shirt thing I saw on tv as well, didn't work. My vet, after doing blood work to make sure his liver could handle it, prescribed my dog 30mg of Prozac. Luckily it's dirt cheap.

I feel weird medicating my dog, but it's truly a last resort. I've done some research and don't think there's any chance he will have any adverse effects. I picked up the prescription yesterday and gave it to give today. But it sure is an odd feeling giving your dog anxiety meds with their treats. Once again, truly a first world problem. Has anyone else dealt with this?

2. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Everyone has their own issues it's not unusual for dogs to be treated for depression.

3. juanm, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I'm in the same boat (not as severe, though).

I've got a spanish greyhound (specifically, a podenco andaluz, they look like pharaoh hounds). It's a hunting dog, so they often come from puppy mills, and after the hunting season, hunters just abandon or kill them (by hanging, usually: http://www.vice.com/read/its-greyhound-murder-season-in-spain ). This one was lucky enough to be abandoned and then found by us. Now she's the happiest dog when she feels safe, but we live in the city, and she HATES it. She's scared to death of children, men, garbage trucks, bicycles, tricycles, and pretty much anything that's not what she's used to. She'll empty her anal glands in fear when a friendly child comes too close, and we have to take her in our arms to get her out on the street for a walk. In the countryside, she's more than fine, she runs around for hours on end, and comes back covered in blisters, wet, stinky, and HAPPY.

Apparently, if a puppy hasn't received enough external stimuli during its first four months of life, its brain will lock in that state and every new thing will provoke a reaction of fear. Once they get to that state, they'll never become a normal dog, however, with a lot of work and patience, it's possible to get them kind of normal (meaning, they control they fear and accept new things)

It's all still fresh in my memory because we saw a vet/trainer just yesterday. We'd already followed our usual vet's advise, and started treating her with Anafranil one week earlier (it takes two to three weeks to work, and it's also dirt cheap, like 2€ for 50 tablets). It's also sold as a dog-specific Clomicalm, but it's the same thing and around here, because there's a dog on the box, it's 5x more expensive. It won't work by itself, its purpose is to calm the dog enough to be receptive to the training.

About behaviour training, the vet told us to do a series of exercises. You've probably tried them, pm me if you want to know more and we can exchange opinions. Honestly, after only the one walk we took with the trainer, today, amazingly, she already was much better.

I'd stay clear of Prozac. The aim is not to hide symptoms by drugging the dog, but to cure them.

I've also got another dog and she's "Little Miss Perfect" (not her real name) so, out of jealousy my podenco tries to copy what she sees, to make us happy and proud. It helps a lot.

Edit: of course, the goal is to stop giving her Anafranil as soon as she's overcome her irrational fears (or at least, until she's come to terms with them)

4. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

We got him when he was 10 weeks old from the shelter. So I know he's had plenty of external stimuli since I got him.

Same thing here. My vet wrote the prescription for Prozac, using the same type of State of NJ legal prescription pad used for humans and I picked the prescription up at the regular pharmacy. Seeing a prescription written for "Bo Bennett" was pretty hilarious. I thought it sounded like a country music star.

I would agree in most cases, but I really feel as though I've tried everything.

5. fotomarc macrumors regular

fotomarc

Try updating your dogs software to 8.1. It could be a hardware issue. Have you noticed any bending?

6. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

No bending. And I can't update him to 8.1 because he doesn't have 5GB of free space left, and where the hell am I supposed to insert the lightning cable to connect him to iTunes?

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

do you really want to know where to stick the plug?

8. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

:eek:

9. fotomarc macrumors regular

fotomarc

Prozac for dogs?

That's where the problem lies. Either expand his memory, or delete some files. Wireless sync could work! Deleting files will help with the anxiety issues.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

11. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I can't possibly delete anything else from him, he's already as good as useless. Maybe it's time for an upgrade....

12. fotomarc macrumors regular

fotomarc

You need to get one that's 6 plus old. Make sure you don't leave it in a tight pocket!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414890307.741727.jpg

13. pietrov macrumors regular

pietrov

:eek: where can you place a bigger dog??? :D

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

friend's cat was on prozac for a while.........all better now and off the stuff I'm told

15. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

We had to put our dog on Prozac, as well. We adopted him from a rescue shelter. He was apparently recovered from a hoarding situation with 100 other dogs, where he was probably stuck in a crate all day and had to compete for food and water. He was a real wreck when we first got him! He has made a lot of progress in the 1-1/2 years we've had him, but he still has pretty significant separation anxiety / abandonment issues.

16. uwdude macrumors 6502a

I'm still getting used to seeing products like Petchup (condiments for pets), much less prescription medication.

17. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It's just plain old human prozac. Got the prescription filled at Walgreens.

18. ame8199 macrumors 6502

I welcomed my dog into the Prozac world today. Let's hope it helps his separation anxiety. This is medication number 4 we are trying. Vet even gave him some Xanax that he gets 30 min before I walk out the door

19. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Watch The Dog Whisperer and quit treating your dog like a person... It doesn't need Prozac, it simply needs an owner who does not reinforce the dog's nervousness

20. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

The Dog Whisperer actually gives terrible advice. If you read dog training/behavior websites/forums you'll see that he's almost always wrong.