PS/2 Barcode Scanner to USB

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by crazyrog17, May 15, 2009.

1. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

I got a laser barcode scanner from ebay for a song and now I'd like to use it to catalog my enormous DVD collection.

It has a PS/2 plug, but no such port on my MBP. A cheap straight-through PS/2 to USB adapter didn't work. The scanner received power and would read barcodes, but the data was not sent through to the machine.

I purchased a well reviewed USB - PS/2 adapter from DealExtreme (https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6175) and when I plugged it in the first time, it asked me to identify the keyboard by pressing the key to the right of the left-shift.

There are no keys on my scanner, so what the heck can I do to get it identified? Is there a way to trick it into using a generic keyboard layout?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Perhaps it's looking for drivers?

3. crazyrog17 thread starter macrumors regular

The USB adapter allows the OS to see it as a keyboard. It just needs to identify the keyboard's layout.

Thanks though.

I've tried to get it to work with a regular PS/2 keyboard, but it hasn't worked yet.

Perhaps I should try it on another computer.

4. crazyrog17 thread starter macrumors regular

UPDATE:

Well, it seems when the adapter is plugged in alone, the adaptor is detected as a keyboard. I can't get it to be identified by the OS.

Is there a way around the identification?

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm thinking you need drivers for it as well. :( Without them, it will continue to be misidentified, and not work.