PS/2 Ports on a Mac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by LeoTheLion89, Aug 17, 2012.

1. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

i just bought a KVM switch today which is a cool thing because itll let me use both my Mac and Windows Destop at the same time but heres the problem. Its a VGA and PS/2 only KVM my G4 will have ADC/DVI so heres where 2 problems will come in.

I have found this PS/2 Card this is just one option as i like the idea i get 2 extra USB 2 ports with it. It uses the NEC Chipset for USB (Which ive been told NEC chipset works in macs) and the PS/2 uses the Chesen Chipset.

My second issue is my KVM is also VGA is there a VGA to ADC adaptor? i really dont want to give up my DVI connector for a VGA adaptor because i use DVI on my monitor but i am not sure if i can use a Keyboard/Mouse through the KVM with no video connected.

2. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

3. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

4. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

No one has ever tried putting PS/2 ports in a mac? thats unreal i wouldnt want to buy it for it not to work although id get a 2 Port USB card out of it atleast

5. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

Nope. At least, I haven't because you can just use of these instead.

6. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

i had one of those but i dont like them too bulky and infact it was so bulky the USB connector came loose and the keyboard port shorted out

7. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

Seriously? I am highly dubious of this claim given that I have used such an adapter with a Model M keyboard for the better part of 6 years and on numerous computers at this point, but it's your prerogative. If you don't wanna use one, then don't.

In any event, I'm fairly certain you won't be able to get native P/S2 support on a PowerPC Mac, but for $15 it's worth a shot to see if it will work. Also, depending on your KVM, odds are pretty good will still work even without using the video connection.

8. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

well i can get a Cable for a KVM that has PS/2 Ports and VGA on the KVM's end and VGA and USB for the Computer's end but im not sure how well that will work.

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

My monitors (Samsung B2430H) have three inputs DVI, VGA, and HDMI. I run both computers on both monitors by changing the source. The G5 uses both DVI, the Linux Box uses on VGA and one HDMI, the the MacBook uses either the one spare HDMI or the VGA depending on which adapter I have handy.

While cable are not cheaper than adaptors they are cheaper than a KVM with kludge.