PS 3 Getting Vudu Video Store today.

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by macfan881, Nov 23, 2010.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

2. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Great quality too. The quality of their HD downloads are impressive. Since they're owned by Wal-Mart, maybe they'll push the rental pricing down lower across the board.

By the way, good for Sony for offering a direct competitor to their built-in PSN video offerings on their own hardware. Of course, they get paid either way. I'm sure that makes a difference too.

3. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

I've had Vudu for a while, since it is built in to my Samsung TV. Everyone gets a free video to start when you sign up, so I watched Hurt Locker a while back. Quality is fine, but the selection is really lacking, and the prices are too expensive. It is nice to have more options, but I've never used it since my free trial.

4. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

Lacking really they have a good back catalog if you browse they have everything from the 80s He-Man to the matrix and pirates trilogy and new relases like train your dragon and Karate kid i think this is actually a little better than the PSN store now.

5. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Yes, lacking. I just fired it up, to see if things have improved in the last 6 months since I started it up. It hasn't. The "New On Vudu" section, as well as the "Most Watched" section, are littered with a bunch of so-so movies, or old stuff that i have no intention on spending $$$ to stream. There is just nothing that it offers me (on a per-view charge) that I want over what I get with Netflix (on the all-you-can-eat plans).

Granted, they DO get a decent number of movies pretty quick, and as I said before, the quality of an HDX movie is great. But, if you rent just 2 movies in HDX format in a month, you are already spending the same amount that you could get with the basic Netflix disc/streaming plan, with the extra Blu-ray fee no less. It just isn't worth it at the current prices that Vudu is charging.

*Edit* - I just watched that video on the PS Blog, and the app on the PS3 is the exact same app that I have on my TV.