PS Cyrstal vs AntiGlare

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by diane143, Nov 14, 2011.

1. diane143 macrumors 6502a

Can someone explain why I may want one over the other?

Does the Crystal cut enough glare to make it worthwhile?

Does one look more "nude" than the other?

No one has the Crystal in stock (well locally and at the PS site) and when I went to the Apple store today they really badmouthed the Crystal.

Ideally I'd love the 3-pack but that's backordered as well.

Thanks!

2. psychopomp1 macrumors newbie

I have the power support crystal and my missus has the antiglare version. In a nutshell, if you want to retain the iphone 4(S) display quality (assuming you have an ip4) but don't mind fingerprints then go for the crystal version...if you hate fingerprints then go for the antiglare but you will lose screen resolution slightly.

3. Tulipo macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm curious, what bad things did the apple store have to say about the crystal PS?

4. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can't remember the exact word he used, but cheap may have been it. As it it made the display look cheap. Although seeing as they had maybe 30 of the AG's and none of the Crystals, maybe that's why? I had also gone to buy AppleCare+ and they told me I couldn't buy it in the store, had to call. A most unproductive trip!

He was all into seeing the screen perfectly outside.

Now from what psychopomp1 says, the crystal will retain the look of the screen which I really love. Which explains why it's sold out. I can deal with the fingerprints..... how does it do in the sun?

5. red kiosk macrumors member

If I remember correctly, the Apple store only sells the anti-glare. Take care!

6. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

One who hates fingerprints, I always find myself switching to the anti-glare

I'll use only top quality crystal protectors (usually the ones that I get for review), but you gotta clean the screen constantly.

The ones at the apple store are the HD anti-glare and doesn't take away the beauty of the display IMO. Also, the anti-glare makes it really smooth to scroll on the screen up and down, side to side.

personal preference of course ;)

7. TwinCitiesJHawk macrumors 6502

TwinCitiesJHawk

Just got the PS Anti-Glare from apple store on the 4S and love it just based on the fact there are no more fingerprints, and also I love how it feels. IMO the screen still looks great as well.

8. ldaustin macrumors newbie

I have not tried the anti-glare, but I found that the PS crystal shows less fingerprints than any "clear" screen protector I have used.

9. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I've always used crystal on my iPhones since my origin first generation, great protection, crystal clear. When I got my iPhone 4s all they had in the Apple store was the AG so I picked up a set, AWFUL, I have now switched to the crystal. The AG looked good in the sun but seriously, glare has never bothered me in the sun. What really bothered me about the AG was that it made the screen look grainy and felt like running your finger across Scotch tape. The screen responsiveness took a hit due to the added friction. If you can handle fingerprints or wiping your phone off between uses go for the crystal, it looks the same as naked only offers piece of mind.

10. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you feel the AG scrolls better than the naked screen? I only ask as I have them on my Touch and I felt they gave added friction.

11. Tulipo macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Question for those who have the crystal, do finger prints wipe off as easily as they do on the iPhone glass?

12. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Tough call. The glass coating is really smooth but at times feels doesn't feel that way, tough to explain, but can just be your finger oils..not sure.

With the AG, I get the same scroll feeling always. I don't feel these give any friction at all.

If you go anti-glare, get the HD ones at the apple store

Hope this helps

----------

I would say no crystal protectors come as clean as just the glass coating itself. It does wipe off easily, but if your OCD like many of us here, you'll be wiping constantly.

13. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

(1) This is a valid concern. While it DOES have a bit of graininess to it and does cut the resolution a little, the PS Anti-Glare HD does a great job of retaining a lot of the resolution (better than their previous Anti-Glare protectors).

(2) I've never understood this sentiment. To me, the Anti-Glare are FAR smoother than any crystal protector I've ever used. I think people use the "Scotch tape" analogy because that's what they look like on the phone...that opaque look as compared to crystal protectors.

(3) Then you had something wrong with your screen. The Anti-Glare won't mess with your screen responsiveness anymore than a crystal protector. If anything, crystal protectors have more friction than AG protectors. Anyone that says differently has no clue what they're talking about.

14. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

This is not a AG is better than crystal or vice versa. Its just personal preference. Some people don't like the reflection or fingerprints, while others don't like the slight decrease in the retina quality. One is not better than the other. Some people prefer Apple's glossy monitors while others don't, simple as that.

I don't believe Apple ever sold the crystal version, it has always been the AG version, so them not carrying the crystal version is not indicative of it being superior over the AG.

15. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Trying my first HD AntiGlare after years with the Crystal:

It does add a bit of grain to the resolution,

It does have a Scotch Tape feel, but less so than the actual tape. I kinda like it,

I have not been able to discern any loss in responsiveness.

I like both, really. There is definitely less smudge/oil removal needed with the AG, and whatever is needed only requires a swipe across my jeans. YMMV.

16. kelskels macrumors newbie

Can't go wrong with either

I bought the 3 pack from the PowerSupport website. I used the HD AG for a couple of weeks and switched to the Crystal because my sister wanted the AG. Here is my opinion:

HD AG: Perfect for people who don't like glare, fingerprints, and oil. Screen is much easier to web scroll and play games. Only problem with the touch is to scroll to a certain time in a music or video (it doesn't register with the hold and scroll to a different time as well as w/o the AG or with the Crystal). Makes the screen go from 10 to 8. Easier to install cause of no oil and you don't see any lint stuck.

Crystal: Makes the retina stand out even more if that's possible. Screen is easily a 10. Much difficult to install cause of oil and the lint is easier to see. Photos and videos look much nicer. Easier to do the time scrolling i mentioned above. Obv you get the bad glare, dust and the oil.

IMO, you cannot go wrong with either. It is personal preference and PowerSupport is the best with product and customer service. My personal opinion is whatever you choose, don't look at another phone with the opposite protector because you will get a little jealous :eek: Grass is always greener.

----------

Yes it is very easy, just use a microfiber cloth. Might have to use some water for sticky residue.

17. Mychu macrumors newbie

Try SGP Steinheil Ultra Optics film ;)
    It's Anti-Fingerprint and still stay crystal clear. Search YT reviews. :rolleyes:

I had the same problem and yesterday ordered SGP Ultra Optics front and back protectors.

18. psychopomp1 macrumors newbie

Outrigger has hit the the nail on the head: Both the crystal and antiglare versions are very high quality screen protectors, its just a personal preference which you use...one is NOT better than the other. My wife prefers to use her grease-laden fingers on her iphone 4 screen which is why i got ger the antiglare...whereas i always try to make sure my hands are clean/dry when handling my 4S so got the crystal version but obviously from time to time, i need to wipe the screen to remove fingerprints. Not sure about about Apple in USA, but at one time Apple UK sold both the Antiglare and Crystal versions but these days they only sell the antiglare versions. Ebay is your best best for Powersupport Crystal protectors (just make sure they're made in Japan).

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This.

To the OP: any question of worth comes down to personal preference no matter what the topic. You really just need to experience both and decide what you prefer. I have an oleophobic SGP on my iPhone (basically crystal once the coating wear off) but an an antifingerprint on my iPad.

In my experience, yes. They don't retain finger prints.

20. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

is Power Support the best brand for these? With my current, non-iphone I bought the film covers from Verizon since I got a large discount on them (some promo). Once mine finally got scratched, I bought cheap-o ones off of ebay which were obviously cheap for a reason.

What are some other brands for the front/rear clear covers or should I not bother and just pony up the $15 for the PS Crystal?

21. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Here's my .02.:rolleyes: I've owned PS antiglare and crystal for both iPads and iPhones over the past several years. I prefer the crystal and have always had to order crystal online from the PS site as I've never seen anything but antiglare available in Apple stores. I prefer the crystal because I felt the antiglare slightly distorted the display and I felt like my finger dragged ever so slightly as well. Just didn't feel the same as touching the naked screen. Fingerprints are prominent on crystal but very easy to wipe off/ remove. Antiglare's benefits were (duh) antiglare when using in sunlight and less fingerprints.

BTW, I've also tried Steinheil and Zagg screen protectors in an effort to save a little $$ and decided the Power Support protectors were far superior in quality and actual use and thus worth the extra cost.

22. seraveegn003 macrumors newbie

PS Cyrstal !!! don't ruin the retina srceen !!!

23. Dun Properly macrumors member

I am very please with the PS anti-glare. I was worried about screen degradation. There is a slight effect, but I would consider it very minimal. Once you factor in not constantly wiping off fingerprints and not dealing with glares, then the anti-glare actually improves my experience.

If I only used my phone in dark places and wore gloves all day, then I would get the crystal display.

24. solo118 macrumors 65816

Does anyone know where to buy a PS Crystal?

I only find it in stock direct, was hoping to save a few bucks

25. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

try amazon