PS front/back vs. PS front/BSE back

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Domino8282, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

First off, I'm brand new to the whole skin/film scene. I've never used anything beyond a regular case with my iPhones. This time, I really want to avoid scratches.

My understanding is that a skin requires a wet install, but is more protective than a film, which is a dry install. Is that correct or am I missing something?

For example, I'm assuming that the BSE skin (wet install) provides better protection than a Power Support crystal film (dry install)? It also seems like films are less obtrusive/visible than skins. Would that be a fair assumption?

For the back, my main concern is protection. For the front, my main concern is appearance. For sides, I'm using a bumper.

Does it make sense to go with the BSE skin on the back and the PS crystal film on the front? Or would you guys recommend waiting till PS offers the front/back combo? Or is there another alternative you'd recommend above either option?

Think I'll even go as far as getting one of those little silicon dock connector "butt plugs" to keep dust and junk from getting in there...

2. sm0 macrumors regular

I don't know if the skins are actually more durable than the shields (i.e. SGP), it could be just a psychological thing i.e. we think its rubbery vs plasticky.

My plan of attack (front/side/back)

1. SGP/Bumper/SGP
    2. SGP/Bumper/BSE
    3. PS/Bumper/BSE

My #1 rule - never put a skin on the front. It will ruin the retina with the orange peel.

I've bought two Incipio feathers but think Ill sell them...

Gah hurry up and release the iphone in NZ.

3. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

After watching a bunch of Youtube videos, now I'm thinking if I do any "wet install" products, I'm having it professionally done. I know they do Zagg installs at my local mall.

That being said, you raise a good point about the retina display. I had just about settled on just doing a full Zagg professional install, but now I'm thinking PS front and BSE back...

4. sm0 macrumors regular

Definitely consider BSE. They may not have the reputation of Zagg and include the fancy packaging etc, but the skin itself is as good, if not better quality. And in my experience because of the simplier design, its easier to install and will last longer. Give BSE a shot. I hear phantom skins are great too.

5. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

EDIT: Nevermind, if it's supposedly available for pre-order next week.

6. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Gah I just can't decide. Now I'm torn between just going to the Zagg kiosk in the mall and having them install full body protection, or waiting till the end of the month for PS front/back, or doing BSE back at home along with PS front. Argh!!!!

7. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Wait it out brahhhh. PS F/B seems to be the way to go. No use in putting orange peels on and removing it later.

8. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Yeahhhh... I guess you're right. I might stop by the mall tomorrow though and see if the Zagg kiosk worker has one already installed that I can look at close up and see if I like it.

9. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Yeah but if you don't have anything protecting your phone at all right now, it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a BSE (pretty inexpensive) or something to use until the PS is actually available.

10. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

True.. I guess the only reason I'm leaning towards Zagg at all is because I can get it professionally done. Don't have much faith in my own ability to apply any kind of wet install correctly. But maybe I'll give BSE a whirl. Worst case I'll waste $6-8.

11. OC513 macrumors 6502

I am using a BSE back/bumper/case mate clear film on the front until the PS comes out. I have had all the iPhones and never used anything except for a PS on the screen but I felt this phone needed a lil more. I was worried about the BSE "orange peel" effect and putting it on myself.........well a wet install makes things VERY easy, you can slide the skin around til you have it perfect....just do it in a steamed up bathroom and you will get zero dust......so don't be afraid to install yourself its easy. The orange peel effect is very minimal.....it can be seen at the right angle in the right light but it is pretty damn invisible.....I'm picky and if it was bad I would have just pulled the BSE off and threw it away(back combo is only $5.99 and discount codes are out there making it cheaper). I guess I got lucky with my bumper as the fit could not be any more perfect and I love this combo so far. Very stealth overall.