PS/LR questions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Outrigger, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Its actually 2 questions really.

1. I took some studio pictures with a white backdrop. Problem is, there are windows behind the backdrop, letting in some sunlight. So the final pictures have sun spots on the backdrop. Is there a specific way to get rid of them in LR?

2. I have made my adjustments in LR, what is the best way to open the raw file in PS but retain the edits? When I open in PS, its the original pre edit version.

TIA.

2. swordio777 macrumors 6502

Sounds like this could be your problem:
    http://www.lightroomforums.net/show...earing-when-using-quot-Edit-in-Photoshop-quot

Personally, I'd try "File > Export..." to export the image as a PSD (check the box to add it to the catalog at the same time). Then you can open the PSD in photoshop to make your edits. When you're done, just hit cmd-W and the preview in Lightroom will update as soon as the changes are saved.

Hope that helps.

3. Outrigger thread starter macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Will give that a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

Or just right click on the image and select "Edit in Photoshop." ;)

5. swordio777 macrumors 6502

I think this was the root of the problem - the OP said that when they tried this the Lightroom edits didn't stick & PS opened a copy of the unedited raw file. This happens when your copy of Lightroom and copy of Photoshop are running a different version of ACR.

Exporting from lightroom as a PSD should get around that :)

6. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

It sounds to me like the OP is trying to open the RAW file from the OS.

The fun of forums, too many ways to read a post. ;)

7. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

No, right-clicking the photo in LR and "Edit in Photoshop" will retain the LR edits when it kicks it to PS. I'm betting the OP made changes in LR, then opened the RAW via Finder (or Photoshop, File, Open).

What I do in LR is set the metadata to a template I have, adjust temp/wb, apply lens corrections, then I "Edit in Photoshop" the respective photo in LR, it opens PS, where I do my layer based edits. I then Save As in photoshop to a separate directory I maintain for PSDs. When it saves the PSD completely, it actually gets automatically imported/read by the active LR library.

From there, if you make any edits in LR to that newly saved PSDs, *NOTE* that any further LR edits to the PSD will be lost if you have the PSD open in photoshop and do a save. This is why if you kick a RAW from LR to PS via "Edit in Photoshop" and it roundtrips back to the LR library, you should make a virtual copy of that PSD in LR, and then make any further LR based edits to the virtual copy.

8. swordio777 macrumors 6502

Haha, couldn't agree more - it's a minefield!? Now that you said that about opening from the OS I see exactly where you're coming from. Had a problem with mis-matched ACR myself a while ago so jumped to that conclusion.

It certainly "should" retain the LR edits ;) But as I said above, I've had a problem with this myself in the past. I see where you guys are coming from now though.

All the best

9. Outrigger thread starter macrumors 68000

Outrigger

thanks for all suggestions. I did an export to PSD and just opened said PSD file in PS. I actually just saw the edit in PS when I right click.