Ps Vita worth it?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by waloshin, Jun 30, 2012.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Does anybody here think the PS Vita is worth it? Or are smartphone games just as good?

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Some edification might be helpful.

And no, I am not going looking, just to answer a question from you.

:p

3. boomboom2 macrumors regular

If you're a big gamer it might be worth it. Smartphone game are fun, but they're still not the same as dedicated gaming hardware. Touch controls still aren't nearly as good as joystick/buttons in 99% of games.

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

A Vita's great if you want an immersive experience. If you're playing Angry Birds for five minutes on the bus, then of course it's a stupid investment, but if you want to play games such as Uncharted and FIFA on the go, then it's great.

There's a topic on it here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1296676

5. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Better then smartphone games....yes.

It's still not really worth buying though. Mine was brought on day 1 and has only been dusted off to play Gravity Rush and MGS HD collection on the go...

Sony didn't announce much at E3 to get people excited either.

Give it another year.

6. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Coming from someone who was extremely excited for the Vita, I must admit that since buying it at launch, it has been good but not as good as I thought. This is completely personal though, because, in the months since the launch, I have learned that this type of gaming has less of a place in my life now compared to way back when. I have taken it with me on a few long distance journeys, and found myself on my iPad, browsing and reading, not playing games. I used the Vita for 5 mins and realised I would rather do some reading. I don't know if that has anything to do with the quality of games on the Vita, or if it is just a phase I am going through. I am just not enjoying it as much as I thought I would.
    I begrudgingly admit this, and must confess that all of my future gaming on the Vita will be done at home. I am excited for some games though such as AC3, and I shall be trading in my black Vita for a white one at the earliest opportunity. But all too often it feels like I only own a Vita so I don't miss out on any games I may want.

7. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I had one but ended up selling it. Was pretty good but just didn't have any games I fancied

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You should really keep to trolling the General forum, don't bring your crap here please.

Thx, Bye.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sadly sometimes smartphone games are just as good. Lego Harry Potter 5-7 I am looking at you!! An example where the iPad version looks better than the Vita and is the identical same game.

But rarely is this the case, and games like Gravity Rush, Metal Gear Solid and Wipeout and my favourite vita game Rayman are much better than anything on a smartphone.

Basically if your happy with smartphone and tablet gaming and don't see a need for anything more, then no don't bother getting the vita. If however you want your mobile gaming with more of a home console feel and of course genuine control sticks, then the Vita is very good at what it does.

My only gripe with the vita is I HATE the user interface. The floating ball icon layout, the desperately slow process of changing desktop wallpaper and having to do it on every page of icons independently, the slow access to settings and messages being separate applications away from the GUI etc.. I would much preferred something more akin to XMB than what we got, and I hope an overhaul is in the works. Other than that, great little device.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've got all the iOS devices and handhelds; yeah, gaming on handhelds is a lot better.

Even the full fat iOS games still feel thin on the ground. One day I'll work out why - probably a combination of the cheap price (psychological value! It's super important actually), speed and ease at which you can just drop out of the game, not enough quality games in general, lack of decent controls.

I don't play my Vita much at the moment (Kid Icarus and Mutant Mudds are taking away my gaming time :)), but as with any gaming platform the first year or so is always awful.

11. Hexaea macrumors member

Hexaea

I don't really think it is quite yet. Wait for a decent library.

12. Rychy, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

Rychy macrumors 6502

I think the Vita will be worth it at some point ... the games just aren't there yet. For now I'm still happy with my PSP. I actually got it not too long ago and am catching up on a bunch of games I've been meaning to play. In Japan they still seem to be releasing a lot PSP games.

As for smartphone games ... I don't think much of them. I usually play them for an hour, lose interest, and delete them soon after ( or in some cases kid myself thinking I'll go back and play one, then finally delete it a couple months later ).

13. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

I agree with you guys, it seems to be almost worth it, I mean it's a pretty sweet machine but it's lacking in the library and that is the bottom line right there. Plus I still can't get over the fact that they use proprietary memory cards that costs more than what a small country spends in ten years. Okay maybe I'm exaggerating ever so slightly, but...

14. gamerish macrumors member

I'd also say wait. An Assassin's Creed III: Liberation bundle with a white Vita and 4GB memory card comes out in October for $250 - the price of just a Vita itself. I'll probably be going for that one since I like the white, but I'll probably wait the few extra weeks for Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals.

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Depends on what games you play - Casual or hardcore?

16. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

I'm not sure it's worth it, but it definitely is better than smart phone games.

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

It depends on what you're looking for, if you want a deep gaming experience the the Vita will fill those needs. The games (although it has a good library now) needs more variety but the system is still young.

I think its well worth the purchase if you are looking for a console experience on the go.

Bless

18. chrisvee macrumors regular

With the current library, no. There are some gems here and there, but as the game library stands right now, there's just not enough out there.

I got one in March and am patiently waiting for PSOne Classic support.

19. nishioka macrumors member

That's what has bugged me about the Vita so far... anytime I go past the video game shelf at the store I look at the Vita games and there are six or seven of them that I don't see myself ever playing. I'd buy the hardware tomorrow if I thought there were games worth playing on it.

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

About 5 games worth playing, and two of them are already on 360/PS3 (Rayman and MGS collection)

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Vita's launch to now has been a case of feast to famine...

Knew we should have been worried at E3 when there was a serious lack of Vita support from 3rd party's and Sony!

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Soundshapes a bit of a dissapointment.

Puddle - same game as on Android handsets at 1/4 of the price

:( Vita please give me a reason to love you. Even my 3DSXL is starting to have pity on you these days.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ah tell you whut; Tearaway, LBPV, All Star Battle Royale and When Vikings Attack are going to be serious time sinks on my Vita.

I've played 3/4 of them and sir, I do want them now.

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Tearaway and LBPV are musts for me, but All Star Battle Royale is a meh for me. I know you will kill me mate, but just never got into Super Smash Bros at all.......

25. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

My Vita gets a lot of less play now that they completely SCREWED OVER the Hot Shots Golf tournaments. Used to be three a day, every day. Now there is one a day, six days a week. Ruined that game.

Finally PSone game are coming but god knows they will probably bork that by making it take another year to get all my titles "ready" for it.