PS VUE AirPlay to Apple TV 3?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ben824, Apr 18, 2016.

1. ben824 macrumors regular

I am thinking of subscribing to Playstation VUE since it seems to offer the best bang for the buck for Cable Alternatives. I have a PS3 to watch it on our main TV but for our Bedroom I have an Apple TV 3 that I could, in theory, use Apple TV to Airplay from the iPad Mini with the PS VUE app. Can anyone tell me if they have tried it?

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Try a Google search -- many are finding that the the Vue app blocks the use of AirPlay and displays a 'content not available on AirPlay' message :(

3. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

Can they block airplay mirroring?

4. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Personally I'd say ask around about how it works on Amazon's FireTV and get one of those (or a Playstation, of course). IMO the AppleTV is a nonstarter because it has no Amazon support, but then it's missing Vue and other stuff too. I'm pretty happy with the first gen FireTV, but I've not used Vue (looks cool though...)

5. benjitek, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

I haven't run into mirroring being blocked, though I've found mirroring in general to perform inconsistently when it comes to video. If you're streaming from the source, the content provider can block AirPlay casting -- or permit only the audio portion to AirPlay; LogoTV's app is one example.

Of all the apps I've tried, Amazon Video seems to have embraced AirPlay casting more than anyone else, even going so far as to turn my iPhone into a 2nd screen with Amazon X-Ray info related to what I'm casting.

At some point Sony plans to implement Chromecast from iOS devices for Vue (maybe they already have). No info on whether they'll support Roku, however there is a Private Channel for Vue. They haven't announced anything regarding AirPlay but that doesn't mean it won't happen. You could always spring $40 for an Amazon FireTV Stick and download the Vue app for it, I've heard it works quite well and you have a 30 day return window if it doesn't work out.