PS Vue is amazing. Is there going to be a ATV app?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mellofello, Nov 1, 2016.

1. mellofello macrumors 65816

My shield got updated the other day, and they were advertising a free trial of Vue. After trying sling TV I did not expect much, but wow it is amazing. In many ways it actually surpasses any cable box experience I have ever used, and you get a full compliment of channels, DVR, and the ability for a whole family to watch simultaneously (5 streams).

Best part for me is the picture quality. Compared to my crappily compressed HD service from IPTV it looks stunning on my 4K TV. Very very impressed. Apparently you need fast internet to achieve this but I have the shield hardwired in to my router.

It certainly would benefit from a dedicated remote, but the interface is great. I'm surprised that it isn't getting more press. This is a true competitor to cable. I intend to cancel my cable subscription. This is great timing since I will be on the road for the next 6 weeks and can watch it anywhere. Hopefully I can get my gf trained on it by next week.

I am considering a ATV 4, has anyone heard of the vue for TV os?

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Of course it would get much more press if it was available on the Apple TV. Who knows if/when it will come to the Apple TV. I have heard some rumors but no concrete statement that I will come to Apple TV by a certain date. But like you many of us would like to give it a try but only on the Apple TV. As a customer maybe you could get some information and share with us?

3. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Not yet -- there is an iOS version, but it's AirPlay-restricted so you can't use it to cast PSVue to your ATV.

The 2016 Roku Streaming Stick is currently on sale for $10 off, just $39, until 11/5, and there's a PSVue app for it (and Amazon Video). The SlingTV app also performs much better than the tvOS version. Wireless audio is more consistent, and personally, I prefer the Roku's Plex app.

4. dbalone45 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2016 ---
    This is going to get very interesting in the next several months. DirectvNow is supposedly launching Friday on AppleTV. Hulu early next year. and then YouTube. Competition is good. Maybe this is why Apple may not need to do it themselves. Let the market determine which streaming service is best.

5. red41 macrumors regular

I don't have an Apple TV yet but as soon as I can replace cable with something like Vue or DirecTV now I am buying two. It sucks playing the waiting game.

6. benzkid89 macrumors member

benzkid89

I hope there is an Apple TV app soon I picked up an Apple TV 3 on the cheap the other day just in case this happens. PS Vue has been great on my PS4 but it's less than ideal on the old PS3 I use in my bedroom. I am excited to try out Direct TV now but the rumors of having one stream at a time may not work well in my household.

7. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I would be shocked to see it on the ATV 3 since it is pretty much discontinued. But I would expect it on the ATV 4 at some point.

8. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

Neither PS Vue or DirecTV Now will likely be available on the :apple: TV 3. Only on the 4th generation. The 3rd generation has been discontinued.

9. aced411 macrumors 6502

I'm starting to lose hope that an ATV app will be released. I'm looking forward to Hulu's service next year.

10. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Yeah, pretty strange they would wait this long but maybe they feel they can not support that many users at this time. As new competition comes out they may move faster.
    I am also very interested to see what Hulu comes out with. I love their no commercial option for what they have now.

11. calvz macrumors member

The service itself is what, less than two years old? They added Roku and Android apps over the summer. They just added Android TV last week and a browser-based option is coming soon. While their platform build out has been incredibly slow, it's safe to say we can expect an Apple TV version. It's just a matter of when.

12. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm looking forward to the browser option. I will certainly be watching TV at work in the corner of the screen lol

13. Hondo1984 macrumors member

Hondo1984

I heard browser support came out today for PS Vue

14. aced411 macrumors 6502

Works pretty well. I've been using it all day. Chrome had occasional judder so I switched to Safari and it's been smooth. I'm not exactly thrilled about having to use flash but at this point I'll take what I can get.

15. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

There must be a reason I just do not understand but why would a NEW major product be released using FLASH over HTML5 with all of the reported problems with FLASH.

16. aced411 macrumors 6502

I suspect protecting content over HTML5 is quite a bit trickier than flash. As good as Vue is, Sony seems like they're kind of stingy with the resources they allocate to development etc.

17. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

PS Vue is sort of already available on all of the Apple TVs. There is no dedicated PS Vue app, but a lot of the standalone TV channel apps let you choose PS Vue as your service provider.

18. aced411 macrumors 6502

Browsing TV using TV anywhere apps is a major PIA, not to mention half of them don't have live TV. Hell when I open TBS I have to wait like 8 seconds just to get past the fancy advertisements. It's better than nothing but a far cry from a dedicated app.

19. jdillings macrumors 68000

The Apple TV app is now available in the app store

20. red41 macrumors regular

How is it?

21. aced411 macrumors 6502

[​IMG]