PS1 games on PS2 on 1080p HDTV have video glitch. Any resolve?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by bigpoppamac31, Apr 29, 2014.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

So I have my PS2 connected to my HDTV via component video. PS2 games play perfectly fine. But PS1 games have a weird video glitch where the image is pushed to the top half of the screen and there is green vertical lines on the bottom half of the screen. All PS1 games seem to do this but all PS2 games play great. Any resolve for this? I've attached a couple images to view. For example in WWF Smackown 2 (pics below) the glitch would alternate but in other PS1 games the glitch would always be there.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=470498&stc=1&d=1398803285

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=470499&stc=1&d=1398803285

Attached Files:

2. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

Have you tried messing with the video settings in ps2 menu? Try changing the video output from rgb to the other one.

3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

I tried that and I end up getting no picture at all. I end up having to go back in "blind" to change it back.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It might be a resolution issue. Some of my old systems go crazy like that when directly connected to my TV. If I connect it to the surround system instead it usually fixes the problem.

Do you have a PS3 connected? They can play PS1 discs just fine.

5. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

I do not have a PS3 but I thought they couldn't play PS1 discs. I recall the early version of the "fat" PS3 was able to play PS2 games. But I didn't think either the fat or slim PS3 could play PS1 games.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The PS3 can play downloaded and disc-based PS1 games, it's just PS2 discs it can't play.

7. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh okay. That's kind of interesting. I wonder why they would not have it play PS2 games also. Then the person would just one system instead of two.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They removed the PS2 chip from the PS3 to save on costs, and those PS2 download games have per-game settings to get them emulated correctly.

9. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

The PS2 has download games?? In any event I'm not about to go and buy a PS3. I'm not a gamer so I don't need one. I only really have a PS2 for nostalgia and play every once in a while.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I meant PS2 games you can download onto your PS3 :)

11. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Thanks for posting that....I knew they had removed the chip for PS2 compatibility due to cost, but I can't remember ever knowing the PS3 could play PS1 discs. I have a butt-load of PS1 disks I hung on to, to play on emulators on my Mac, but that may not be necessary now...

12. Bidwell macrumors newbie

Bidwell

Did you ever find a solution for this? I've just discovered it myself as apparently not all ps1 games play correctly on the ps3.

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

That's kind of weird - when I say that the PS3 can play PS1 games, I get a lot of strange looks and people saying "no it can't".

Don't know why - I've always have known it...

OP AFA your issue - have you tried it on a different TV? Maybe using the regular audio/video cables instead of the component?