PS2 meet AirPort Express (2nd Generation)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Shinerkyd, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Shinerkyd macrumors newbie

I was wondering if there is a way to hookup my PS2 to either my iMac which is connected to the internet via extended WiFi network using an AirPort Express which connects, again wirelessly, to an AirPort Extreme (no where near one another) or to my AirPort Express to access the internet?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You can use it as an WiFi to Ethernet extender but for online gaming wired Ethernet is the way to go, else you're going to have latency issues.

You might get better results with an Ethernet over power line setup.

3. Shinerkyd, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013

Shinerkyd thread starter macrumors newbie

Update - Connected

I did find that I was able to connect my PS2 Slim to my Apple Airport Express via a Cat5e cable plugged into the LAN or Ethernet port on the back of the AirPort Express along with using the PlayStation 2 Online Start-Up Disc 4.0 Broadband Only.

I simply connected the cables turned on the system, selected Create New Network then Automatic/Cable DSL (or something of that variation) it saw the network, and 2-3 seconds later I was connected.

The entire process took about 2 minutes. *Note a PlayStation 2 Memory Card is required to save the network settings w/ about 1 MB of free space (little less).

In the visual below you will want to connect your ethernet cable to the port indicated which appears as <-> on the back of the AirPort Express.

Attached Files: