ps2 on 40GB?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by caffeeneaddict, Nov 10, 2007.

1. caffeeneaddict macrumors regular

hey all just wondering if there will ever be a chance of ps2 emulation on the new 40GB PS3. And why don't they have it now? Too expensive? Too much on a small dive?
    thanks
    Caffeeneaddict

2. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

will this "ever" happen? probably not, unless sony adopts some skewed product model.

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

they got rid of it because they save some money on each unit. And they said they CAN do it, but they won't because they wanna stay focused on PS3 titles instead. But I bet they wait a few years then put PS2 games on the PSN store for download.

4. caffeeneaddict thread starter macrumors regular

it just seems so ridiculous that they would throw out their entire ps2 library just so they can "focus on ps3 titles" and maybe in a few years there will be a ps4. ugh sorry for that mini rant.

5. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Not "in a few years." If I remember correctly, didn't Sony say that the PS3 will be a 10 year console.

If you want to play old games, you can get a PS2 for super cheap. My Wii can play Cube games but I haven't touched any Cube games in the year since I bought a Wii.... Backward compatibilty is a waste, in my opinion. Maybe in a few generations, I'll be nostaglic about PS2 games...kind of like I am now with Genesis, SNES, NES, etc.. games on the Virtual Console.

6. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Originally the Ps3 had the EE chips (Emotion Engine aka Ps2) and did hardware emulation.

Then they cut out the EE's to save cost and went software emulation.

Now the software emulation only works on the 60 gig and 80 gig? (albeit somewhat limited; some games aren't supported)

Ps2 is rumored to drop to $99 with a revised unit including a built in power supply (no more power brick)...I'd just buy a Ps2 truthfully. /shrug/

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

NTSC 20 GB + 60 GB :- Emotion Engine (PS2 RISC CPU) + Graphics Synthesizer (PS2 GPU) = hardware based backwards compatibility

NTSC 80 GB + PAL 60 GB :- Emotion Engine Emulation (software) + Graphics Synthesizer = software based backwards compatibility

40 GB Model :- No Emotion Engine (Hardware or Emulation) + No Graphics Synthesizer = NOTHING