PS3 2.80 update available.

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Jun 24, 2009.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

OK? So what's that all about exactly? 'Playback' may refer to cut-scenes ? But god knows. Downloading now anyway, the install does not appear to be mandatory at the moment, however a check with the software update wizard reveals it.

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the heads up. i'll probably update later this week

3. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

I hate that Sony is so vague with these fixes. Just say what game(s) it fixes, and when you insert one of those games, require the update. Don't make me download and install one of these heart-stopping updates (I always freak when it reboots and takes a little longer than normal to start up) if I don't need it. :p

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I hate that Sony's firmware updates are always huge, and slow to download. I'm assuming we're downloading the entire ROM every single time instead of just patches like XBOX Live?

5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It depends on what is being updated. As of yesterday 2.80 was not mandatory, meaning you can login and use PSN without doing the upgrade. This may be different today, but I haven't checked PSN status today. The PS3 only replaces what is needed in the update and any of the shared components that are needed to support the update.

The only system that fully updates its "ROM" is the Wii. A Wii system update is just that, it deletes and replaces the complete system/OS image on the systems memory.

6. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

its not mandatory because I just found out from this thread after playing uncharted online

hope this fixes my bluetooth headset registration problems

7. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

OMFG it fixed the southwing SA505 bluetooth headset.

This is utterly amazing.

Haha for me this is the greatest update EVER.