PS3 + 27" Monitor + Mac Mini vs iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LaunchpadBS, May 24, 2012.

1. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to upgrade my MBP, it's a little long in the tooth now and too slow, even with the extra ram and SSD.

I've got a 27" monitor now that I use for PS3 when gaming and I plug in my MBP when doing dev work.

I'm looking to either get the new Mac Mini or iMac when released in June(hopefully). But my issue is, can I use the iMac as a screen to play my PS3? I don't want to keep two massive monitors, my room's cramped as it is.

Price wise I've already got the mouse and keyboard and aforementioned monitor but only has a max res of 1900x1080, at 27" it's not ideal but I can live with it.

I'm leaning towards the middle range Mini with GPU but the iMac will give me a better GPU and CPU speed + higher res, I only play like 3 games on OSX so not too fussed.

Anyone have a similar setup?

2. littlepooch21 macrumors regular

As of right now u can't play ur ps3 on an iMac. Since u already have all that stuff I would just do the Mac mini. That's what I did and I couldn't be happier. Only thing is the processor speed right now. I'm really hoping for a nice quad core in all them instead of just the server model.

3. Ashok0 macrumors regular

Yeah right now its impossible to hook up a game console to a new iMac. Kanex said they are looking into making an adapter for HDMI->Thunderbolt but there is no ETA.

4. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

Another brilliant move by Apple. Er, not.

Their obsession with pushing Thunderbolt is unfortunately to the detriment of its customers.

5. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Well, how many people actually hook up their console to their monitor? I have a 52" TV for that. Sure, it's convenient to have extra ports, but I don't think it's a deal breaker for most.

However, they could have included a dual-link DVI or display port as well as the thunderbolt (or have them be backwards-compatible). I'm sure there's a decent amount of PC users that would like to have an Apple display.

6. jedolley macrumors 68000

Well, probably fewer now that the new iMac does not support it. :p

Personally, I'd rather have my consoles (at least my PS3) hooked up to my iMac than my TV. I spend more time in my office than I do my living room. I find myself watching more movies and TV shows on my iMac than I do my TV. To each his/her own, but the main point is that it used to be an option, and now it's not.

In regards to Thunderbolt, this issue is not completely Apple's fault. Intel makes Thunderbolt, and capability to do this is currently on Intel, they have not provided the means to do so. Apple's failure was not anticipating Thunderbolt's slow acceptance and it's limitation and probably should have left the display port as an option.

7. Ashok0 macrumors regular

Well for PC users, Apple's Thunderbolt display DOES work with MSI's new Thunderbolt PC motherboard. And with Intel's Virtu technology, the TB display even works with the discrete graphics card. But yeah, as far as PS3 and the Xbox 360 goes, we are *beep*.

8. LaunchpadBS thread starter macrumors 6502a

I used to have mine connected to my PS3 until battlefield 2, now it's "Other people also want to watch the telly!"
    So I bought the 27" for my desk and started using it with my MBP, now I want an upgrade and some extra desk space so was thinking Mac Mini or iMac, but seems the Mac Mini should be fit for purpose.

Anyone played Diablo 3 on the Mini with the GPU? I tried it on my MBP and it's horrendously slow!

9. yulan6248 macrumors newbie

I don't know anything abt Mini, but I can tell you that d3 runs fluidly on iMac 27 with full resolution. Really a joy. But hell yeah, no ps3 display support and I don't even see it coming soon.