PS3 + Airport extreme + Imac + Ethernet = Fail?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by coogie, Feb 13, 2009.

1. coogie macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have an imac sitting next to a bt homehub.

Bt homehub shoots the internet wirelessly to my next room, to the Airport extreme.

This airport extreme sits next to a ps3 and an external network Hard drive (see model below).

Basically, I want to be able to dump files from my imac into the other room on this Hardrive, whilst my Ps3 being able to access the Hardrive as usual.

Unfrotunately, I can only get the ps3 or the airport extreme to connect to my hardrive through the USB slot. As the HD only has one USB slot, this means I can only use one at a time! Neither of the devices will see the Harddrive when it is plugged in by ethernet alone..

How can i make it so i can use the harddrive with my airport extreme AND my ps3 at the same time?

Thanks a lot for any help on here. Always read your forums for answers, first time post.

Cheers

Hard drive model:
    Freecom 30725 1TB NAS Drive Hi-Speed USB/Ethernet 10/100

brand new Imac with latest airport extreme

2. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

It doesn't look like the network drive is DLNA certified, so the PS3 will not be able to see it while plugged into the airport. What I would try to do is plug the network drive into the imac or the airport, then use an application like Rivet to share media that is on the drive to your ps3 over the network using streaming.

The performance will probably be better if you plug the drive into the imac via USB, though it should work either way.