PS3 and iMac Airport Extreme Connection?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Curren~Sea, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Curren~Sea macrumors regular

Curren~Sea

Has anyone got the PS3 to connect to their iMac Airport Extreme? I’ve done a huge search on the net and it looks like it’s a common problem. I have a new PS3 40gb and a one year old iMac still running Tiger. If anyone knows the precise steps to make the PS3 connect to the wireless network, please reply. Thanks!

2. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

I've got my PS3 and 360 hooked up wirelessly to an AirPort Extreme (n-draft).

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Wait, do you want to connect the PS3 to an Airport Extreme network from a hub, or an Airport Extreme network created from an iMac?

4. Curren~Sea thread starter macrumors regular

Curren~Sea

From my iMac. I do not have a base station. Can it be done? I have not seen a detailed description of how. Thanks.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm not sure, but i doubt it

6. Curren~Sea thread starter macrumors regular

Curren~Sea

Update: I could not get the PS3 to connect to the built-in Airport Express on my iMac. However, I had a wireless router hanging around so I hooked that up and got it to connect flawlessly. Thanks for the replies.

7. thugfrm87 macrumors newbie

You can do it!

Hey the PS3 uses a MAC address so all you need to do is go

Applications - Utilities - and open aiport utility. Double click on your base station and you'll see the info about your base station. There is a section called Access control. hit the plus sign and then in the ID field put the MAC address of your PS3. Remember to also put in the MAC address of any computer that acceses that airport. Restart your base station and then you'll be able to get on line wirelessly.

8. Curren~Sea thread starter macrumors regular

Curren~Sea

iMac has an internal Airport, not a base station. Therefore, the AirPort Utility does not work. What you are describing is applicable if a person has an external AirPort base station.

Thanks for the effort though. :)

9. dray1510 macrumors newbie

Ok... I have a new iMac 27" and new Airport Extreme (802.11n WiFi). I own a 15 powerbook, and new PS3 Slim (with updated firmware 3.01). I'm able to connect wirelessly to the internet on my iMac and Powerbook. My PS3 can not find my wireless network. I have gone thru forum after forum and tried everything I can find. Still no luck.

Using Airport extreme base station 7.5
    5 GHz / 2.4 GHz set to Automatic - 802.11 a/n - 802.11b/g/n (Channels are 149 and 1)
    Wireless security WPA/WPA2

I tried adding the PS3 MAC address thru Access Control as stated in the quote above. Still doesn't find the network.

I tried just using 2.4 Ghz. Didn't work.

I tried scanning for the networking on my PS3. I also tried manual set up at stated in the PS3 troubleshooting forum.

My new Airport Extreme is approx. 30 ft away from my PS3. That shouldn't be an issue, because my old router was a G and it was able to connect from the same distance.

I'm out of ideas... Any help would be appreciated.

10. newmacman6 macrumors newbie

Is it fixed yet?

The only differance I see between yours and mine is that my channels are 149 and 3 and it works great. Don't know if that will make it work for you.