PS3 and Mac... multimedia + gaming ?!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Syonidism, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Syonidism macrumors regular

Is it possible to connect my ps3 to my 23" mac lcd monitor????

also;

is it possible to connect to my ps3 through lan so it can stream and/or play movies??? if so which formats??? what software would i need? (freeware is highly accepted):D

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Yes- your PS3 will need to have an HDMI to DVI adapter; make sure you get the right adapter the first time around.

Second, Unlike with most monitors, the 23" ACD has only one DVI interface - you will need to switch back and forth between the two.

And although I hear about people doing it, I really cannot answer the question about streaming; I do know its possible, I just do not know the details.

3. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

For streaming, theres a program for the ps3 made by the same people who make connect 360. Ill do a quick search and get you the link.

4. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

5. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

It's probably not worth the trouble to use your  ACD to run it, though it works great in my Doublesight DS-263N - which has two DVI ports, so I run my Mac Pro and it concurrently, switching between them. Handy.

There are a few apps that you can use to stream to your PS3. This one is free and I've gotten it to work:

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

Nullriver makes one that costs money, but apparently works great. It's useful as a media hub.

6. Syonidism thread starter macrumors regular

Its a great monitor for such a LOW price. (compared to my 23"!) but there are people who don'T like certain aspects of it ( white level, color ratio etc.)

now im not a photographer or anything, im a cse student that uses various compilers and plays games a LOT, would this be worth it?

7. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I use Connect360 for the XBox 360 and MediaLink for the PS3 and they work great! Just point it to your folder(s) for music, images, and/or iTunes and the respective device can sort, categorize, tag, and playback whatever. I've spent some time on the XBox360 and I was fairly impressed with the various formats and wrappers it could deal with without complaining. There's also access control filtering and a way you can serve only checked items in case someone is doing this for their kids or something. :)

8. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Probably not, depending on how much you wanted to spend. But the DS-263N's been discontinued anyway. Planar still makes the equivalent, but expect to spend ~$600-$700 on it. Got that kind of scratch to splash out on a convenience?

9. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I do that and also pro video and pretty heavy into photography (again since digital cameras became good) and I use dual $200 LG 24" monitors. They're awesome! About 1 in 200 photographs or perhaps slightly less I can juuuust detect some banding if I look real hard. Viewing angle is not that big a deal unless you bob your head all over the place while you're using your computer. If you don't need professional color matching and high precision calibration for work or something then a good TN panel is all you'll need. A TN in 24" wide goes for between $200 and $400 depending on brand and features. Maybe more sometimes - I dunno.

Anyway I like mine fine. I doubt I'd change up even if all I had to do was pay the difference.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

my biggest complaint is that the buffer for the videos runs out so fast it makes it unwatchable. any solutions?

11. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Are you using 10BASE-T or something?

I can be watching movies on the laptop (hosted on the MP), DLing torrents at 3 to 5 megabytes per second (on the MP) and the 360 can watch MP Hosted movies at the highest resolution it supports and not feel lag on any of the machines. The XBox360 needs much less than 1MB/s. Most movies I have are encoded at between 800 kilobits (100 kilobytes) and 2400 kilobits (300 kilobytes) per second. As a comparison I get 10 megabytes steady to my PC laptop.

The XBox itself downloads games off of "it's server" at 80 to 100 MB/s (that's megabytes!). So the little bit it's asking for in a typical stream from my mac is like nothing to it.

So if your network is configured right then the only things I can think of is that there's either a low-speed hub in the way or there's some kind of software glitch on the console.

BTW, I haven't spent enough time with the PS3 to know it's particulars but that's how it all is on the 360.

EDIT: I like your sig!

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

my laptop has no stutter issues over wifi, however my ps3 with media link does

weird and irritating

lol maybe i should change my sig to Ron Paul 2012 lol

13. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

How does it do streaming off the net?

Or will it be Rand in 2012? ;)

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no issues off the net. really just seems to affect .mp4 files the more i test it

not cool

15. Syonidism thread starter macrumors regular

i got this however the screen shows nothing... :(

[​IMG]
    Heres another angle

[​IMG]

16. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

What is the model of your monitor? I wonder if your monitor has HDCP.

17. Syonidism thread starter macrumors regular

its the matte apple standard 23" cinema display

18. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Then your *ucked. The old 23" Cinema displays are not HDCP from what I read online.

"HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) is a form of digital rights management (DRM) developed by the Intel Corporation to control digital audio and video content as it travels across Digital Visual Interface (DVI) or High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) connections.

Blue Ray movies and HD-DVD (which doesnt apply to the PS3) have this encryption on the discs to prevent people from copying the discs. Since the Apple Cinema Displays are NOT HDCP COMPLIANT there was some speculation as to whether or not the Cinema Displays will be able to play the Blue Ray discs. But if you use the Component cable to play them then it should work fine. Since HDCP does not travel down analog signals, you wont have to worry about it." - http://forum.gefen.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1468

19. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

I also think that the PS3 has problems with non-HDCP equipment when trying to play games at high rezes over HDMI as well.

20. NightwalkerUK macrumors member

Also having the exact same issue and i agree its really annoying and makes movies unwatchable. The strange thing is, I don't recall it doing it when i first set it all up.

What make of router are you using and i assume youre streaming over wifi?
    I am using a netgear router hard wired to my Macpro which streams the movies over wifi.

Sorry to hijack this thread btw.

21. macuser154 macrumors 6502

I tried to connect my PS3 to a 20" Cinema Display using a HDMI to DVI convertor and it didn't work. Just thought I'd mention it.

22. OZMP macrumors 6502

actually, you can just turn it on and off on the pref pane to use it for free.
    It is so useful to me I paid for it though.
    Small biz needs our support! Pity it doesn't work in 10.6(yet)