PS3 and Macbook Pro unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Katt505, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Katt505 macrumors newbie

This is what I want:

To connect my ps3 to my mbp and use the mbp as a monitor. I understand this isn't possible. I don't want to buy a tv.

However

I'm reading about the EyeTv Hybrid. Can any other users on the forum give me more info? I've gone to their website, and found it confusing. If I'm to understand correctly, one can stream the game played to the mbp? Is there lag, or other problems? I'm going to be playing FFXIII.

My apologies if this isn't in the right forum, nothing else seemed to be appropos.

KURT

2. Katt505 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Whats the prob with just hooking up to a TV?, not convinced this would work, even if it did its a long way round to avoid buying a TV (and not any cheaper).

If its only using the coax you are not gonna be getting any of the HD the PS3 is putting out?

If its to record gameplay then consider something like the hauppauge recorder?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMR9uv_vD0I

4. ippikiokami macrumors regular

Why not just get a cheap small lcd ? They cost about the same as the eye tv hybrid and you'll actually be able to play it in better quality over the HDMI than the RCA and Svideo the eye tv offers

5. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

i tried the usb tv tuner/video capture device before and found that the latency was unacceptable.

6. Katt505 thread starter macrumors newbie

GOD, you're right. I'm just concerned that if I go into a best buy, I'll end up spending more money on a tv than I should. I spent 2K+ on this MBP, I was hoping to be able to use it in lieu of buying a tv. I looked at prices on Best Buy, and cheapie LCDs are around 200, 150ish. My other concern is, if I purchase a new TV, I want it to be of good quality, to last awhile. Oh well...thanks guys!

7. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Get an HD monitor that you can use for both your mac and PS3

8. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

There are several methods to make this happen, but only one good one.

Adaptec Gamebridge would be the cheap/bad option. It will allow you to hook up a console to your notebook via USB, but it won't support high-def signals and would look like garbage.

The expensive/good option would be using a Matrox MXO2 Mini. (your macbook pro must be the model with an expresscard slot!) This will allow you to carry audio/video in high-def, but the unit will set you back $400~

Hope this helps.

9. thabends macrumors member

I was in the same boat, but also a bit tired of my 13" display, so i bought this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

PS3 looks great on it (even has crap built in speakers that work via HDMI) and so does the mac. I watch blu-ray, hulu, netflix, etc. and play the PS3 on it, and use it as external monitor. It's more than worth it your situation.

10. Katt505 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback guys...it looks like I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a tv. Wish me luck!

11. DrummerBASS macrumors regular

So, you bought a PS3 when you didn't have a TV?

12. thabends macrumors member

Good luck. Check out the Sony KDL40EX400...I like mine.

13. BlackZ macrumors member

BlackZ

I have to agree on that, I didn't use that one but EyeTV250 for my wii and the latency is bad. Maybe the Hybrid works better I dont know, my father has the Hybrid but yeah he doesnt have a wii :)

14. hellric macrumors member

I use a 24" 1920x1080 Iiyama monitor both for PS3 and MBP. Very effective and not expensive compared to a TV (I wanted to keep my TV free for the rest of the family ;) )