PS3, Apple TV alternatives?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by JasonBourne1, Mar 16, 2011.

1. JasonBourne1 macrumors regular

Im using my PS3 as my main unit, which is fine. I just wish its interface was as good as Apple Tv's or XMBC's.
    Does anyone know any good alternatives for ATV and PS3?

2. sportster macrumors 6502

My brother uses his Xbox for his, I've never messed with it. Been happy with my AppleTV setup (even with the extra hoops I have to jump through to play movies/videos)

3. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

There is not an alternative to ATV because it works with iTunes and others don't. I have both a PS3 and ATV2 and the combo works for me. If you don't care about iTunes/Apple stuff, I have heard good things about WD's media player.

4. Jusnogood macrumors newbie

I was always quite frustrated using my xbox360 and Ps3 as I frequently hit files both wouldn't play...I even had a few instances of me watching a movie on my PS3 then going back to rewatch it a few weeks/months later and it wouldnt play! (fireware 'upgrade' I'd guess ?! )

Atv2 with xbmc really hits the spot for me.

Why are you interested in finding an alternative?

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

for 100 bucks, u can't go wrong with an ATV2, especially if you install XBMC and have a bunch of movies u can stream.

6. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

There are programs around that let you stream iTunes to a PS3, though that doesn't help with the UI.

7. JasonBourne1 thread starter macrumors regular

Im not looking to stream media but to save it on a HD, if possible. That cancels out the ATV2. PS3 is fine - 320gb is enough for that. Its just has a crap interface. I would like to have something like Coverflow on Itunes.

8. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

I have a ps3 and atv2's and I only use my ps3 for games it's too cumbersome for navigating my movie library.

I use my dlna samsung before I would use my ps3 to watch video.

9. ghostrider501 macrumors member

Whats XBMC? hear alot about it,