PS3 Back up question

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Nuck81, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Nuck81 macrumors regular

YLOD last night.

Talked to Sony this morning and they were very very helpfull (sarcasm) Basically my options are to buy a new one, Send my old one in and get a refurb, or go take a toss.

The thing Last week I just bought a new HDD. If I get a new one and put that HDD in to it, will all my Data be there already?

I have everything backed up from the transfer as well.

I'm mainly concerned with my game saves. The thought of starting GT5 all over again makes me shudder...

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

If you backed up your game saves on a USB stick or memory card you are fine. The HD will only work in the PS3 it was installed in, the minute you install it in another PS3 it will reformat it. Backups are only good for the PS3 you made them on, you cannot restore to another PS3.

Just because they didn't give you a new one for free doesn't mean they weren't helpful, its electronics, they break, just ask 360 owners. I just had to replace my 60GB launch with a slim not so long ago for the same reason, luckily I was smart enough to backup my save games to a memory stick.

3. Nuck81 thread starter macrumors regular

I came out OK. The game saves all tranferred are working. I just have reinstall/download all the games again.

I would have thought it would work out the opposite...