PS3 Blu Ray display

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by mac000, May 31, 2008.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

bear with me, I just got a ps3 today but a blu ray movie I began watching on a 1080i lg LCD tv has horizontal black bars displaying.

I thought blu ray movies were suppose to display and fill the entire screen? Is there a setting that will allow that movie to be displayed without zooming in, or is the movies aspect ratio make for the horizontal bars?

Wouldn't a wide screen tv display blu ray movies that fill the screen automatically, and why are there different aspect ratios? Doesnt everyone prefer to view flicks in hd on their tv that take up the whole screen?

Very confusing for me.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

your tv is 16:9 or 1:85 ratio
    a lot of movies are produced at this ratio and these would fill up your screen.

However there are also a lot of movies at 2:35 letterbox which is a wider field of view and therefore these would be displayed with borders regardless on your 16:9 display.

Widescreen tv's have been available for over 10 years now and aspect ratio is somthing most people have adjusted and accepted a long time ago.

Most Tv content will be produced in 16:9 these days, all HDTV content is 16:9

But as for movies, you will have to learn to accept it.

I have'nt even covered the many other different aspect ratios that can crop up either.

Just use your zoom button and move along, nothing to see here ;)

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I agree with the OP, why wouldnt the videos take up the whole screen? Or at least why dont they make TVs with the proper aspect ratio. I miss the days of 4:3 TVs

4. shaunomacx macrumors member

shaunomacx

because different directors and countries have different preferred filming formats. 16:9 is probably the safest middle of road format you can have

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

6. kbarso macrumors newbie

The Real Answer

Here is the real answer you want. I worked as a projectionist in a movie theatre for 3 years. Movies of any aspect ratio are filmed using 35mm film. One film size, two display widths. 1.85:1 or 16:9 films use a standard flat lense to project the image on the screen. 2>251 films are squeezed on the 35mm film and expanded using a magnifying lense to expand the image to a wider display. The tv industry decided to us 16:9 as the aspect ration to save cost and because the majority of films are in the 1.85:1 ratio. If we had a 2.35.1 ratio for tv movies in the 1.85:1 ratio would have bars on the sides not top. By the way most animated movies are in the 1,78:1 ratio. Thy are actually zoomed in to fill the screen on your tv.

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Different movies have different aspect ratios - there's no single screen size to suit them all. However, the vast majority of all HD content, as well as a sizable number of films, use the 16:9 ratio, and so HDTVs follow suit.