Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So I received some more movies in the post today.

I have a copy of Underworld Evolution (region B officially - but its actually region free)

Anyway the movie will not launch in my 60GB USA PS3 ? It starts reading the disc and then a few seconds later boots back to ps3 XMB.

The other movies I received all work perfectly and as normal, but this just wont do anything.

I have yet to try the disc on my Euro PS3 as I'm not at my apartment today, but will try later when the mammoth storms outside die down and its safe to drive.

Has anyone else experienced discs that just don't work on the ps3 ?

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
its your PS3 telling you that it refuses to play that craptacular movie... even though Kate Beckensale is all sorts of hot.

but seriously, no mine had some problems reading all discs but that was just dust and now she works just fine.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I like the movie :(

Just weird, it doesnt even tell you it a region error or anything - it just starts to read the disc and then kicks you back to xmb ?

Very strange one indeed. :eek:

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Latest software updates?

Any region encoding, image constraint tokens?

Bad disc?

I doubt its region coding or he would get a error, it can't be a ICT since he is using HDMI and if it was a ICT it just wouldnt play in 1080p.

I would say bad disc MRU, its trying to save you the pain and suffering of watching that movie ;):p

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Make sure you're running the latest firmware. I had a similar with POTC 3. The PS3 would just kick me out before it could load the menu. It turns out it was a BD-Java issue.

It's likely just a bad disc. However, you might try discussing it with the pros at highdefdigest.com or AVS Forums.

Out of curiosity, do you have the Underworld Evolution trailer downloaded on your PS3's hard drive? Apparently, there has a been a few unconfirmed reports that if the trailer is on the hard drive — the disc won't play. Not sure why.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Thanks for the replies guys. Won't get chance to test it on my euro model till the morning, but it's the strangest thing.

I've tried changing audio settings, tried res settings but still no luck.

I guess if it doesn't play in the euro model in the morning we can definitely put it down to a bad disc.... Bloody thing was an import from caiman which means it's gonna be a pain to sort out... oh well I'll keep you updated :)

Thanks for your input anyway, (at least my two Harry Potters work :p :) )

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Kate + Tight leather pants = good times

MRU are you sure its not the disc itself instead of the PS3?

Bless

I'm more of the type that prefers the hunky werewolf sidekick ;) :p

Nah mate, not 100% sure yet - but will be when I'm back to my apartment in the morning. If it doesn't play on my euro machine too, then we can firmly put the problem down to disc :) Hence I'm not panicking yet.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Update...

Film works on my Euro PS3.

I'll just put it down to my USA machine not liking my Region B copy of Underworld Evolution.

Maybe there is some region on it, though the region free list seems to say otherwise...

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

Oh well.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Sometimes PS3s can have disk read errors but then none of your disks will work. Maybe It's just a bad disk.

EDIT: I see your new post ;) missed that.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Update...

I'll just put it down to my USA machine not liking my Region B copy of Underworld Evolution.

Maybe there is some region on it, though the region free list seems to say otherwise...

Oh well.

MRU, are both units up to date? I know a few Blu-ray discs here in the States wouldn't function properly on the PS3 until the unit was on the newest system software.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Update...

Oh well.

Remember with the regionless HD DVD gone, Blu-ray discs will start having Region Encoding and the Image Constraint Token...

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Remember with the regionless HD DVD gone, Blu-ray discs will start having Region Encoding and the Image Constraint Token...

Someone's a pessimist. Do you also believe that they're going to artificially inflate prices of Blu-ray players, keeping them above $299 just to drain money from the consumers?

Seriously. They have no reason to flip the switch on a technology that is only going to piss off the consumer and retard the growth of the format.

Antares

macrumors 68000
You know, I'm getting gkarris and gloss confused. :confused: You two are very similar and I keep mixing the two of you up. It's difficult to tell who is who.

Anyway, just because HD-DVD is no more doesn't mean that the HDMI constraint must be enabled for Blu-ray. It's merely an option and studios don't have any real incentive to do so. How would it benefit them? It could actually harm them, in fact.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
MRU, are both units up to date? I know a few Blu-ray discs here in the States wouldn't function properly on the PS3 until the unit was on the newest system software.

Yeah both systems have the latest ps3 update / firmwares. It's a strange one.

pigteats

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2008
Hi there i also have the region B copy of Underworld Evolution and i am having the same problem on my US PS3 and now the seller will not sort it out so i am left with a Blu Ray that i cannot play i now need to get the region A version such a pain as was told would play in all players worldwide but not so still donot know what to do with it
Any suggestions
Chhers dudes:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.