Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChessMyLife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
Hi everyone

I play computer chess, and I’m using a very good machine for this propose, I’m using ASUS mother board with Intel Core i7 920 running at 2.66 GHz, and it’s doing good with chess engines calculations, but recently I heard that the cell processor is stronger than i7 I have which left me in a chock, once again I was twisted with the issue of what you exactly want to use the cell processor for??!! I want to use it for chess engines calculations (such as GUI Interfaces - i.e Rybka 3 on Fritz 11), but I don't know if it worth the time to install yellow dog Linux on my ps3 then install Win XP on Linux then install my chess program Fritz 11 and after that trying to install the engine inside Fritz11, its really not an easy thing but is it worth the effort to do it ?? My ps3 is 40 gigs, and I’m willing to format it if its worth the time, after all my big question is :

IS THER ANY WAY I CAN RUN A CHESS GUI INTERFACE SUCH AS Fritz 11 ALONG WITH RYBKA ENGINES ON PS3 ? IF YES, DOES IT SUPPORT 64 BIT TECHNOLOGY OR NOT??

thanx

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I have no idea what you just said, but I know one thing:

PS3 runs Linux like a dog. It only has access to 256mb of RAM since the GPU is off limits. Running linux, then running XP then running your chess thinggy will probably be a horrible experience. That being said, why not just try it? It only takes a few hours of your time, most of which is just watching the PS3 do it's thing.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
I think you need to write the apps for the PS3.

Why on Earth you want to use the Cell Processor instead of the newer i7? If I were you I'll stick to the i7.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
If there was something like this built for the PS3, and meant to use the cell processor, I'm sure it would work well. But if you are running Windows, on linux, on your PS3. I don't think it would really work as well as you are imagining... Just stick with the i7, that's a great processor.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The Cell Processors hypothetical performance in CPU server | calculations computer environment,

does not equate to

The Cells real world performance in a PS3 hardware environment.

Stick with the i7 for what you are doing.

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
My... my Cell chip broke :(

norm-4837988ac9c84-Terminator+2:+Judgment+Day+(1991).jpeg

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Cell is not a "consumer CPU" as such, although you can find it in a PS3 is not designed for consumers hence the poor Linux on a PS3 performance.

An i7 core is fast, if you want faster either upgrade to a professional based CPU or just stick more in the mainboard.

I do GeoQuad rendering and was considering the same thing, but it comes down to it's just not worth when you can have a SuperMicro server based mainboard with 12 cores ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.