PS3 connected to the mac mini, then to the iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alexanderson, Jan 1, 2014.

1. alexanderson macrumors newbie

Hello,

Did anyone tried to connect their PS3 to Mac Mini and then connect Mac Mini to an iMac and use it as display? I don't have an iMac so I cannot try it myself but I was wondering what would happen. Would an iMac work in TDM for PS3 since the inupt goes from a Mac Mini (so technically an Apple computer which is essential for TDM to work )? I have no idea if this makes any sense or if it's even possible but I thought it's worth a shot.

Thanks in advance for any response.

Regards.

A.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

the mac mini has no video in port and does not do TDM since it has no screen either.

current iMacs need a thunderbolt input for TDM, meaning the other end has to be mac with thunderbolt.

3. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

I am intrigued as to why the OP would think the Mac Mini can handle input from the PS3 any better than an iMac can? Of course it won't work, but I thought it was quite a bizarre idea really.

A bit like saying "I have this square peg and I want to fit it into a round hole, which I know wont work, so could I fit it into another round hole instead"!?!

4. alexanderson, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

alexanderson thread starter macrumors newbie

To answer your question: Mac Mini has HDMI port. So does PS3. I heard about people trying to capture/record PS3 gameplay via mac mini (though I have no idea what was the final result) using HDMI port. So, assuming it would work I was wondering what would be displayed on an iMac connected to mac mini and used by mini as a monitor via Thunderbolt. If an iMac works in TDM as a monitor for mini and mini recives signal (or whatever it is) from PS3 (or should I write" IF mini recives signal) wouldn't iMac display gameplay from PS3?
    Like I mentioned. I am no technician. I have almost zero knowlegde about this stuff and luckily I don't have to. That is why I ask people with experience/knowledge. I didn't expect that this would/woudn't work. I asked just out of curiosity. I would try it myself if I had an iMac.
    Anyway thanks for your replays.

I also checked HDMI port in Mac Mini and it's only output. So this puts my experiment to rest.

I think mods can close/delete this thread

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Yep. You assumed wrong. The mini's HDMI port is video-out only.