PS3 Controller won't even appear when plugged in

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by PissedOffGamer, Jun 24, 2015.

1. PissedOffGamer macrumors newbie

I'm seriously about to pull my hair out. I've scrolled through these forums and many other old threads following all these simple instructions on how to connect my PS3 to my mac. Nothing works, the most I can get is for the drop down menu at the top of the screen to say it sees a PS3 controller. I can't even get it to work when it's plugged in, much less even see that it has a PS3 controller plugged into it!

After reading numerous threads I've downloaded drivers, tried a hard shutdown after unplugging all bluetooth devices, did the hokey pokey and turned myself around but no luck. I've tried all kinds of "combinations" of plugging it in and unplugging it and pressing the reset button, which would sound logical if the damn computer could even tell it has a controller plugged into it.

I'm about to just give up, while I read other people saying, "just plug in and play bro." I seriously would punch you in the throat if you were right in front of me.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008)
    2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512 MB
    OSX Yosemite

2. MRU, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

1. connect ps3 controller with USB cable attached

2. in the bluetooth menu in menu bar you will see it listed as just a range of numbers. Click on that and say connect

3. unplug usb cable

4. you go back into bluetooth menu and click PS Controller - choose connect

5. IT WONT APPEAR IN BLUETOOTH PREFERENCES - just in the bluetooth menu here

6. Play .... When you want to disconnect - click on bluetooth menu and choose disconnect.

controller.jpg

You don't need drivers or additional software unless your button mapping. I just plug in and play. Just worked three seconds ago with Lego Jurassic World (steam) - no additional configuration required.