PS3 Crazyness

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by evan g, Jun 16, 2008.

1. evan g macrumors regular

I know that you can load linux onto a PS3 and from there load up windows and play PC games. Is there any way that i can (bear with me here) load linux onto my ps3, then from there load mac from linux, then load bootcamp from mac, to use windows? I know its a stretch, but wouldnt that be awesome? dont worry i got plenty of external drives so memory isnt a problem.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

boot camp isn't an application. It's just a way of partitioning your drive. And a triple boot(or quadruple with the Sony OS) I'm not sure if it's possible on the PS3. And a triple boot certainly isn't easy to do with OS X involved.

small correction: boot camp is an application, what I meant was that boot camp isn't required to run windows on a mac, it's simply a tool used to partition your hard disk.

3. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

But wouldn't that be crazy if I could do that? I mean if that worked, and I could just figure out how to get it to play 360 games, and maybe a Wii control for Wii games, I would never leave my living room. I wouldn't have to worry about system requirements haha.

4. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

5. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

6. kabunaru Guest

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No, this can't be done :) Operating systems don't work that way. You don't have to install one OS to install another, lol.

Windows is compiled for Intel processors, thus it can only run on an Intel processor. Mac OS X is compiled for Intel and PowerPC processors. Linux has been compiled for almost everything.

The only way you could run Windows is through an emulator that emulates an Intel processor, but that would be too slow for gaming.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I hope you enjoy playing PC games from 1996.
    The PS3 splits its ram in half for Linux, you're running a 256mb graphics card with another 256mb for system ram. You won't be playing many games on that. Then you'll be dogged further by the CPU. The Cell works best when it has all it's wee ikkle cores running, not 1. Think of it as dividing that 3.2ghz CPU (is it? I forget) into 8*. And then throw emulation in there since it's an entirely different CPU architecture. It won't be a pleasant ride.

You'll be looking at a 1ghz Celeron with 256mb ram. On average emulation needs a CPU 90% faster than the system it's emulating as well.

*not 100% how it works but there will be a massive performance hit.

And that would never work since the Wii has a completely different video card, the 360 has a better video card and more ram.

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I wouldn't even give it that much credit for running Window's games. Considering it's roughly about the same as a G5 1.6 Ghz, I'd say maybe a 300 Mhz Celeron. :)

<]=)

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think someone bought into Sony's hype machine!

11. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Yes. Yes, that would be crazy.

12. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

Man, the second I post this, I get pounded with a bunch of "It's not gonna work", "Somebody bought into the sony hype machine" crap. :( So much for imagination.

Geez. Guess I posted on the wrong forums.

13. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

What? I wasn't trying to be mean I was just telling it to you straight :D. After all, I do have a PS3.