PS3 - external HDD Questions

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by FreedomFighter, Feb 6, 2009.

1. FreedomFighter macrumors member

hey guys,

i have had my ps3 for over a year now, with all the games and other data i have the room on my HDD is diminishing so i have partitioned my HDD to 32gb and to FAT32 format, and the ps3 is recognizing it however i have a few questions before i start using it.

1. can i select specific pieces of data from my internal to external HDD instead of straight backup?

2. Can i run games and demos of the external HDD while linked up to my ps3?

sorry if these are noob questions

thanks for you help,

FreedomFighter

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You can place some game saves on the drive, the majority will have to be backed up using the proper backup feature as they are usually copy protected. Any media can be placed on or played from a external drive.

You cannont play games or store games or demos on the external drive.

3. FreedomFighter thread starter macrumors member

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

It is VERY simple to replace the internal drive. I recommend going that route!

5. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

same as previous poster, just backup all your save data files on a USB memory stick and then take the standard HDD out and pop in a new one. i did this as soon as i got my ps3 and it worked perfectly. also it somehow formats the new drive (well at least 160gb) in about 3 seconds. but you can easily get really cheap drives of the net. just make sure its a 5400rpm (thats what i got told) although i doubt it makes a difference