Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I have been googling to no avail about the optical drive. Are they the same or is one faster than the other?

Also, what woud you choose, the fat or the slim? is the dts sound really important?

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Not sure about the optical drive, but I enjoy the backwards compatibility on my PS3 (for the occasional blast from the past) and believe it or not the card readers can come it very useful.

Regarding the audio, I really wonder who has the audio set-up to take advantage of a lossless audio stream. I am not totally sure about this, but I think the PS3 Fat's audio output can be picked up by certain audio receivers and reconstituted as TrueHD. Could be totally wrong here.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
I have been googling to no avail about the optical drive. Are they the same or is one faster than the other?

Also, what woud you choose, the fat or the slim? is the dts sound really important?

The slim has better hardware all around. The Slims BD drive is a newer model series and presumably faster even though the read speed is the same. The slim is also quiter and runs cooler.

I would get the Slim now IMO.

http://cache-03.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2009/08/500x_systemspecs.jpg

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
go the older one.

1. cheaper
2. can run linux etc
3. some backwards compatibility

-1. loud
-2. power hungry
-3. bulky

i got the old one in december, well worth it imo.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
go the older one.

1. cheaper
2. can run linux etc
3. some backwards compatibility

-1. loud
-2. power hungry
-3. bulky

i got the old one in december, well worth it imo.

1. cheaper ? Yes but if your buying second hand you will probably be without warranty. If anything goes wrong within 12 months you will have to pay for repairs. Whilst you may be careful with your ps3, can you be sure the previous owner was ?

2. Who the heck runs Linux on their PS3's ? Seriously it was the most useless addition to the ps3 ever.

3. Some backwards capability still relies on you purchasing the right FAT. Not all FAT's had backwards capability at all.

- 1. Loud ? My Launch USA & Euro models are only audible when they have been on a good while. However compared to my 360... Well that's a different story ;)

- 2. All the consoles barring the wii are still power hungry. How much it costs to run depends on your playing habbits. I do not think the power saving & cost of that power really that much of a deciding factor.

- 3. Bulky ? Well design aesthetics are personal preferences. It's not as dynamically bigger than the original ps2 to ps2 slim was. PS3 slim is still fairly big. Oh an the Matt finish on my slim looks cheap & toy like.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
1. cheaper ? Yes but if your buying second hand you will probably be without warranty. If anything goes wrong within 12 months you will have to pay for repairs. Whilst you may be careful with your ps3, can you be sure the previous owner was ?
who on earth said i was referring to purchasing 2nd hand?? not me! i bought mine in december brand new from BigW! it was cheap as :D they wanted to get rid of it! so i can 100% with confidence say that it was in great condition :rolleyes:;)

2. Who the heck runs Linux on their PS3's ? Seriously it was the most useless addition to the ps3 ever.
in your eyes it is. greatest addition in mine. (BD ripping HELLO).

3. Bulky ? Well design aesthetics are personal preferences. It's not as dynamically bigger than the original ps2 to ps2 slim was. PS3 slim is still fairly big.
i dont give a rats, but some people are really fussy about it, so i thought that it would merit a mention.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I'd get a Slim. I own both (a PAL launch 60GB and a 250GB Slim), and use the Slim far more these days.

Benefits?
- Quieter
- Same core PS3 functionality
- BRAVIA Link (I use this all the time)
- Current model

I would note that the optical drives are identical between the Slim and original, both being 2x BD drives. As for audio, I get the full HD Audio (whatever format) off both my PS3s, as my AV receivers are new models with support for the codecs.

My launch PS3 does have some advantages, on paper at least, such as the card readers (that I never use) and the BC (which I also never use, as I have a pair of PS2s).

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Is this complicated ? Wouldn't mind ripping a few BD's to put on my AppleTV. I don't buy DVD's anymore.

i dont buy optical anymore! i hire them haha.

it was a very easy process for me. i downloaded Yellow Dog Linux, made sure i backed up my games, partitioned, installed YDL and away i went. if u need help just hit me up.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Slims optical drive is A LOT louder when loading/ejecting, but other than that better in every way.

Never used the BC in my 60Gb, i miss the 4 USB's though.

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
The blu ray drive in the slim, is not as good as the one in the old phats, it is a cheaper blu ray drive.

However I have 2 PS3, a 60 gb and a slim and cant notice any difference in use, other than the slim is slightly louder when loading or ejecting.

I'd get a slim, if not maybe a last generation phat, the original 60gb just arnt reliable enough I'm on my 3rd.

If you need usb slots just get a hub, if you need card redears get a usb one, if you want backwards compatability just pick up a cheap 2nd hand PS2

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
My original 60GB was so loud during Blu-ray movies I couldn’t stand it anymore. It was louder than my 360.

I sold it and for the price I got I could have almost purchased two PS3 slims.

The PS3 slim is much quieter although I do miss the luxury features of the 60GB like the touch buttons, media card slots and extra USB ports.

syndony

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2010
I would upgrade but ps2 BC is a must for me. I have 60+ ps2 games, all of which are very good if not classics. As an adult gamer I don't want tons of systems taking up my living room space, nor do I want to deal with memory cards or wired controllers. My ps3 is an original 60 GB and the BC is fantastic. I also sold my Gamecube when I got a Wii, same with my xbox in regards to the xbox 360. BC is a must for me. Factor in VC type downloads (Zelda, Banjo, Streets of Rage, etc) I feel like between the big three (Wii, 360, ps3) I have a NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Turbo Graphix, xbox, xbox 360, ps1, ps2, ps3, Gamecube and Wii.... very nice. If the ps3 slim gets BC, I will strongly considering upgrading to a smaller, quieter and more efficient slim.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
PS3 slim is way better than the fat version.

WAY better in the fact it's slightly slimmer ? :confused:

Because in any other way it's identical except it drops Backward Compatibility, and uses generally much cheaper internal components. NO touch sensitive keys, no power off switch on the back (only standby mode)...

But definitely 'way better' ;)

At the end of the day it does the same thing. OP just choose what fits in your budget and which you find aesthetically more pleasing.

The games, movies & content are the same regardless.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
A hell of a lot of scientists would disagree with you. Being able to take advantage of the power of the PS3 for scientific tasks is a big win.

Having said that I got the Slim :(.

Weird. Did they find a way for it to use the full processing power of the PS3? Cause the way it ran on mine, it was too slow to be of any sort of real use.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Weird. Did they find a way for it to use the full processing power of the PS3? Cause the way it ran on mine, it was too slow to be of any sort of real use.

Maybe they are special scientists?

Linux ran awful when I spent ages installing it, fixing it with sudo commands in terminal so it was running properly & supporting proper tv resoultion etc.. I tried it couple years ago at least and subsequently realised it was called Yellow Dog because it ran like one, and got rid of it pronto.

Those scientists should probably be advising the game industries developer community because I'm sure as heck sick of hearing how they can't harness the full potential of the cell.

Maybe that's why were getting so many bad ports when it comes to cross platform released, we should be hiring more super scientists ;)

This post is tounge & cheek if it needed to be spelt out.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

Maybe they are special scientists?

Linux ran awful when I spent ages installing it, fixing it with sudo commands in terminal so it was running properly & supporting proper tv resoultion etc.. I tried it couple years ago at least and subsequently realised it was called Yellow Dog because it ran like one, and got rid of it pronto.

Those scientists should probably be advising the game industries developer community because I'm sure as heck sick of hearing how they can't harness the full potential of the cell.

Maybe that's why were getting so many bad ports when it comes to cross platform released, we should be hiring more super scientists ;)

This post is tounge & cheek if it needed to be spelt out.

for general 'computer' uses, such as running an OS, the PS3 is TERRIBLE as we all know! (linux runs like a dog). the reason for this is pretty obvious. CPU speed. the linux versions (even YDL, which is more "optimised" for PS3) can only utilise one of the CPUs in the PS3 (the main one), which is clocked at 400MHz! the PS3 only has ~256MB RAM also. its terrible for running an OS.

but in the scientific world the PS3 is a pretty awsome machine, customised software can be written to utilise all 7 (i think) cores of the PS3 in their own particular way, allowing for some very intense number crunching possibilities. the PS3 can produce around 1.7TFLOPS, comparable to a GTX 295 which hits around 1.8TFLOPS. dont forget that the PS3 is a good 3 years younger then the Nvidia GPU! it was a pretty amasing machine when it came out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.