ps3 Firmware 3.0 is live

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by macfan881, Aug 31, 2009.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I will not be pleased until the PS3 allows for multiple players to login to their PSN accounts at the same time. If the 360 can do this, there is no reason why the PS3 cannot.

3. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

In that case, i will not be pleased until 1/3 of PS3s melt and quit working. The 360 can do this, so why can't the ps3?

4. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

I will wait some days before applying the 3.0 firmware. Just to be sure that there are no "issues".

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Haha, I'm not saying that the 360 doesn't suck -- by all means, the PS3 is far superior in terms of what the console can do. But there are so many little things that Sony is screwing up that is causing them to lose this console war.

6. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

its a nice update the whats new thing is really nifty kinda like the NGE menu u can even load up your game through there the new status bar were the RSS feed is also another feature i find really handy, also when you do your internet connection test thing it shows est on ur upload and download speed. overall i think this probally the best update since 2.4 my only draw back is the friends list is to big at the moment each friend has a gray bar around there name now hopefully sony adds something to fill that in with later on

7. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

They arent losing. Monthly sales numbers show that the ps3 is selling just as well as the 360, but people only want to look at total sales numbers, which doesnt work because the 360 had one full year with no competition. The 360 also forces its users to but a new console every 3 years when the warranty expires. Im sure the re-purchases count toward the numbers. I would be more interested in a graph of installed consoles. I dont think they can keep track of that though :(

Anyway, downloading this update!!! The *slightly* new xmb looks great!

8. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I think it's probably done installing, gonna go downstairs and test it out!

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I downloaded it fast enough and I love the new start up/logo but damn man whats up with these big arse fonts/icons....gezzz zuss there taking up my whole screen.

Pros:
    Things loads faster
    Sparkles are nice
    Friend/message notification at the top is a nice touch

Cons:
    Big arse kindergarden fonts/icons(give me the option to change it back at least)
    Friends List is all cluttered....hopefully the big grey squares have something useful in them soon.
    I don't care whats new in the PSN store so I want that crap off my screen please.
    I really don't see a reason why I updated...no useful new functions
    BIG ARSE FONTS/ICONS

Sony fix this please....I'm getting use to it now and I don't want to.

Bless

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

So why can't a 7 core system play music in the background when you do other stuff? Not necessarily games, but what's the point of being able to bring up the XMB in any game/program but not being able to use anything from that menu unless you quit. I realise this probably a commonly asked for feature, but seriously, it's a version increment.

11. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Quick notes...

Ya, those fonts are huge, but they don't look bad on a huge screen. I like the little section in the top right, and they finally fixed the fact that when you opened the XMB in game the controller battery covered the time. Sparkles are nice, but I bought the LittleBigPlanet animated theme and I'll probably stick with that (but I probably won't buy any other themes, I just wanted to try one). The whole what's new section is kind of nice, I like the recently played part. Other than that the what's new section seems like an Xbox. I don't know who decided to put big rectangles around friends, it looks terrible.

It's a nice update, but mostly because I can see the clock right when I open the XMB :D.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Downloading now on the mac, save downloading it 3 times on my ps3's. Have they finally addressed optical & hdmi audio output?

13. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

14. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yes! You can output out of both now :D

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Feck me sideways Sony finally listened to my perpetual nagging and has given me multi-audio output. YAY!!!!!!!

Edit....

Then they kick me in the NUTS! MRU goes to enable multiple audio out and is greeted by the message...

Audio output other than HDMI OUT is downscaled to 2Ch - thereby gimping the feature completely. :rolleyes:

But...

Enabled anyway, starts up a game and low and behold.... Optical is still outputting DTS 5.1 :)

So what's that all about ???

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Okay I've finally had the chance to dig in with FW 3.0 and its not bad at all. I didn't like the big fonts at first but its grown on me and they didn't just blow them up...its still smooth and a lot faster to load.

The friends list still needs some work but I can see they have something in store for it...I just wished they would give us the final product instead of chunks at a time.

A lot of people are complaining about the change but its the internet and thats what they do...whine. I haven't seen any significant function reduced so I'm good with the changes.

Bless

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hmm, what's your point? Do you mean that you could log in to multiple accounts with one PS3? Sorry I'm not native speaker so sometimes I miss the point

18. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

He means that if you have a friend over and you both jump on your ps3 to play resistance the ps3 wont track both players stats at the same time, and only the owner of the ps3 gets the exp and stuff from the match.

19. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

if you dont wanna spend 3 bucks for the little big planet theme the Japan Store relased a Afrika theme for free its pretty nice too

20. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I got the LittleBigPlanet theme (which is sweet) but I heard about this nice other treat on the Japanese store, an Afrika theme that's free!

If you happen to have a Japanese account (like me) go to the store, it's under the first option in the sidebar (probably newest) and look through the list until you see the Afrika logo with a + icon. Make sure it's free (doesn't show a price), and download. Took me forever to find that.

Here's a short video I tweeted.

http://www.twitvid.com/91337

And here's the LBP theme:
    http://www.twitvid.com/33F4E

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Downloaded the lbp theme. €3 is a ripoff but hey at least I can use it on 3 consoles now, and it's still better than those rip-off themes on XBL.

22. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Yup, it's a lot better than the XBL themes. But like the XBL themes, I'll probably just buy one :p. The free Afrika one rocks.

23. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

This was probably the fastest update i ever downloaded. About 5 minutes for the download and another 7-8 for the install. Very impressive.

The new xmb is spiffy. The sparkles are awful pretty :D

I didnt even really notice the larger font. It didnt keep me from getting stuff done, so i dont really care what size they make it.

Question: If i make a Jap account and download the afrika theme can i apply that to my US account and then erase the Jap acct?

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yes....

25. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Meh.

Looks nice...I only really use mine as a Blu-Ray player right now.