PS3: Folklore scores 9.0 on IGN

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by risc, Oct 3, 2007.

1. risc macrumors 68030

risc

A melancholic piano sighs under the backdrop of sea-blown wind. As you meander along the paths of Doolin village, your steps color the scene with murder, suspicion and knowledge of the many realms of the Netherworld. This surreal and often-times haunted journey is the journey of Folklore - and this is one great reason to own a PlayStation 3...

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/824/824614p1.html

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The games are looking more and more awesome...I'll get the PS3 when there is a significant price cut and/or update like with the PS2 Slimline...I'm willing to wait :)

3. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Folklore sounds great but it's too bad I lost my love for RPG games with the PS2, I played like millions of RPGs for the SNES and loved them all but I tried many for the PS2 but I just found them all boring...

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's not fair to compare anything to SNES games.

5. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I've never really been interested in these types of games but this game is looking better and better....I'm going to have to pick it up.

The stroy looks top notch so mark another game to my shopping cart.

Note: I like the name folksoul better:D

Bless

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

The new IGN dude writes a pretty good review. I played the demo and didn't think it was all that bad. I like the style. I just worry about the repetitive parts he addresses in the review.

8. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

It isn't? I just skimmed through the review, glanced at the art and the developer and could have swore it looked like an RPG... what is it then? Adventure? Like lucas games of old? or Fahrenheit? If so then I'm really interested.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

haven't any of you played the game demo ? :confused:

I downloaded the 1.3gb demo and must say, I wasn't really bowled over. It felt like a repetative ghost busters in rather bland linear landscapes.

The review does perc my interest again though and I hope the final version is better than the psn demo, but I'm really not sure I want to spend €70 on the risc that it's basically the demo stretched over 40 hours.

I think I'll just buy Eternal Sonata. :eek:

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^You're never impressed....trying to impress you is like eating vegimate...:eek:

My euro buddies don't kill me.

Bless

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL! I love vegemite. :D Have it on my rye bread every morning :p

Hey - I've been impressed by a few things in my time - just I'd blush to mention them here :D :p :)

12. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

Correct it's an (action) adventure game.

13. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

MRU, Wait for Eternal Sonata on the PS3, it will have 2 additional characters and other stuff that the 360 version lacks.

As for Folks Soul/Folklore the game is great and well worth the 9.0 IGN gave it even though i particularly hate IGN. I finished this game a bit ago, i may rent the US version to see if there are any differences other than say the city name between the two.

14. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

How long is the game?

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I can't believe this game didn't register on my radar....I just played the demo and its freaking cool plus the story seems very immersive....I smell a sleeper hit here people.

I'm officially excited about this game....I'm getting it....and they say theres no good games for the PS3....add another one to the good game list I guess(well until I confirm it)

Ratch n clank, Folksoul(I'm calling it by its euro name), haze, drakes fortune, COD4, kane & lynch:dead men, AC...excellent closeout on the 1st year.

Bless

16. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Yeah according to Kotaku, the PS3 has the most "must-have" exclusives so things are looking up for the little black machine.

17. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Just heard of this game just today and it's got me interested. I didn't even know that there was a demo for it. Guess I'll have to try that out.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just watched the video review. It looks very good now compared to the demo. My critiscm's all seem to be addressed. Landscapes look lush and there is proper cutscreens too... mmmm I fear another purchase :)

edit... just orderd the game. Thanks guys :rolleyes: :p

(oh thanks for the heads up on eternal sonata. I may wait for the Ps3 version anyway, as too many games to try and play before the end of the year that a little delay is probably a good thing ;) )

19. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I would say it took me around 10-12 hours to complete.

I have too many games and more on the way, I know how you feel :p One day ill get around to beating them all, Everybodys Golf 5 and Heavenly Sword are on my list right now.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not too bad. I kind of like that length as anything shorter I feel cheated, and anything too over I will never finish. 10-12 as long as it's good is the perfect length of a game for me these days.

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats cool....My attention span kinda gets lost after the 12 hour so thats good for me.

I like the SIXASIX controls....imagine runmble:)

Bless

22. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

10-12 hours is great, I think I'll order the game now. Cheers!

Right that's Folklore added to my import list. Currently I've got Eye of Judgment and Ratchet & Clank also on pre-order. Now where the hell is my copy of Heavenly Sword. That's the 1 thing that sucks about importing... the wait... :)

BTW I picked up Sega Rally recently if you're looking for a good arcade racer it's sweet as. I own Dirt too and I have to say I prefer Sega Rally!

23. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

My import copy of Folklore finally turned up. I only played the prologue level for Ellen but what a game! After playing the demo I really wasn't interested but the comments above and reviews forced me to give this a try. Yet another game that rocks compared to the demo. For now though this game is sitting in my soon to be played pile.

I have way too many game to complete at the moment. Call of Duty 4 1 level to go, Heavenly Sword I have to kill the King, Ratchet & Clank Future... All of which have to wait when I get the call for The Eye of Judgment, or Sega Rally I'm loving my PS3 at the moment.

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^I feel ya on that one....I have yet to play folksoul...too many games to play. I'm kinda glad Kane & Lynch isn't a big title because I might of add it to my growing PS3 library.

I've yet to play COD4 online because of the line up...I barely touched it actually. I think Uncharted will be my last game for the year...Thats if Haze isn't a wash up.

Games taking up my time: Silent Hill 0rigins, SMG, AC...its just too many!

Bless

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Haze doesn't look that hot to me in all the previews and videos ? I look at it and think... kind of reminds me of Killzone 1. Really hyping it up, and from the video walkthru's I just can't see why. Everything screams of generic, and the AI on the previews was simply dire.

I think Haze of all the PS3 games this summer, stands the biggest chance of being the christmas turkey.

----

Disappointing with Folklore is that the two stories / characters are simply not different enough. Your just repeating yourself, albeit with a slightly different cut screen.

Other than that its a good game.