ps3 for Birthday..What Game?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by basesloaded190, Sep 10, 2009.

1. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Ok i really want a ps3 for my birthday(Next Week) I don't know what game to ask for. I'm a big fan of COD but know that the new one comes out in November. Is there another one that would be ok to get for the time being?? Any other recommendations along the lines of that genre?? thanks for the help!

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you haven't played COD: MW you might as well go with that. You have about two months till MW2 is out and the play will probably be similar, so learning the controls and ins and outs now can't hurt for later.

Otherwise Battlefield Bad Company was enjoyable (not sure if it's on the PS3) and Dead Space was pretty top notch for a scary shooter.

Regardless of what game you get now you'll probably put it on hold for MW2 anyway...

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Yep if its COD then MW or World at War should tie you over. Enjoy your PS3. :)

oh and i'm loving the LSL themed avatar SilentPanda :D

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

CoD4 is far superior to World at War, so if you are set on CoD then I would go for that one.

Killzone 2 is a solid shooter as well with a great multiplayer. I would probably suggest that if you are going to end up buying MW2 when it comes out just to have some variety.

Also, not a shooter but there is a lot of 3rd person shooting in Uncharted. It's solid as they come.

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Oh yes! Get Uncharted hands down. Great game if you like the 3rd person shooter/adventure types. Also even though Prince of Persia is fairly easy and is mostly a "collect the orbs" game, I really enjoyed that one too.

6. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

I just picked up "Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction" and have been thoroughly enjoying it for the last week or so (forced me to put GTAIV off to the side...). Fairly cheap, too: about $30 from Amazon (or your local brick & mortar)

7. basesloaded190 thread starter macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Thanks for the tips guys!! Im not restricted to COD games. Any type of shooter/Action game would be cool with me. Something that i can play for a while (either lasts long or has some fun online play)

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

9. MasConejos macrumors regular

MasConejos

LittleBigPlanet

It starts off a little cutesy, but is a lot of fun

10. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

My favorites are

Battlefield Bad Company
    Battlfield 1943 (download only via PS3 store, it's awesome online)
    COD 4
    COD 5

A lot of people put COD ahead of Battlefield and I don't know why. With Battlefield you get to operate all the vehicles as well as the FPS and the environments are destructable.

I have yet to play Batman, but it's rated really high and I'll likely be picking it up this week.

Cheers, Tommy

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Actually even though I have both series I'd say I enjoyed Battlefield Bad Company far more than either Call of Duty MW / W@W.

The only criticism of B:BC was that it's solo campaign was fairly short. That being said at least I finished it. Haven't been arsed to with any of the COD games.... :eek:

12. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

B:BC feels a little less linear than COD, but also feels a little less serious. The story of B:BC was certainly easier for me to follow.

inFamous is a very good sandbox game too. I just started and finished that this past weekend (although I put in near 20 hours I think). It reminded me a lot of Crackdown on the 360.

Battlefield 1943 is nice and all but to be honest, it doesn't seem near as fun as the others mentioned. Unless you have a bunch of friends you can squad up with I wouldn't bother. Otherwise it tends to be every man for himself which doesn't work as well on the large scale map combat games.