PS3 Home Theater

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rye9, Sep 25, 2007.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I currently have my PS3 connected to a 42" DLP 720p Samsung TV... and it's working marvelously. However, I think I'd like to get a 5.1 channel surround sound system. Does anyone reccomend this, and if so a certain model? Should I get a HTIB (home theater in a box) or a component and receiver system? Finally, how would the audio function if I hook up the surround sound system to the PS3 with an optical cable while the HDMI still connects the PS3 to the TV?

2. Drile macrumors member

Everyone would definitely recommend this.

If you can afford it, but the components individually rather than an all in one box setup.

3. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

How much do you want to spend is what it comes down to.

Right now, Denon and Onkyo have the latest in the line of receivers, supporting HDMI 1.3 and all the latest codecs (DTS MA and True HD). Your probably better sending everything through HDMI versus optical, but you won't have an issue sending optical to the receiver, but your only going to get DTS audio. The issue is the newer codecs won't go through optical, the player has to do the decoding first.

I wouldn't go with an HTIB if you have the money. They aren't bad, just a dead end solution. Your PS3 is a great blu ray player.

Take a look at the Onkyo 605 as a start and maybe SVS speakers for a good package.

4. Motley macrumors 6502

Some good suggestions for systems in this thread. Like said above, depends on how much you're willing to pay.

If you get a receiver that takes HDMI (be careful not to get one that just does pass through) you can go PS3->HDMI->Receiver (receiver handles audio) ->HDMI->TV

I do that with my upconverting dvd player and it works fine.

5. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

So to use the one suggestion of everything through HDMI.... I would go about so by the suggestion of HDMI -> receiver (audio) -> HDMI -> TV? Also, what is DTS exactly and what would be better about HDMI compared to DTS? Finally, what would happen if I was to keep the HDMI connected to the TV but also ran an optical cable into a surround sound system?