PS3 / Macbook monitor connectivity issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KooBrewoP, Apr 5, 2008.

1. KooBrewoP macrumors regular

KooBrewoP

I have a mac book and am getting verry confused about monitor connectivity issues.
    I wanted to buy a Playstation 3 and play high def blue ray content on a monitor that i could also use to increase my desktop size when connected to my laptop. But there seems to be no standard way of doing this. Switching back and forth from HDTV to DVI and problems with loosing analog sound and different versions of DVI. I also understand there is some sort of blue ray decoding issue with built in security system that disables most screens from playing blur ray content.

Has anyone tried getting this setup to work? and if so how on earth do i do it?

thanks

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I have. You can use a DVI to HDMI cable, and connect your PS3 to the monitor this way. You'll need speakers that accept the analog cables from the PS3 in order to get sound. I used my old Bose computer speakers which allow for the 2 cable analog connection. Then you will use the regular DVI cable to connect your MB to your monitor when you want to use it for your computer. The monitor needs to be HDCP compliant in order to watch Blu-ray movies. A 24" monitor with HDCP will likely provide you full resolution, but you didn't give the specs of your MB so not sure if it will power a 24" monitor.

DVI to HDMI cables are <$20 at Amazon.com. I use the one in the link, and am very satisfied.

Some monitors come with a built in HDMI port, so if switching over the cables is an issue you could go that route. I believe Gateway has a 24" that has this. Good luck to you! :)