PS3 makes a great playback devise

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by CMD is me, Oct 27, 2008.

1. CMD is me macrumors 6502

Anyone looking for a way to playback their HD video, the PS3 is a great solution. I just picked one up over the weekend. Having USB inputs means you can playback AVCHD files right off a flash card. You can save .MTS files on the internal or connected USB (FAT32) external for playback. I've tested playback with 720p clips between 5-40Mbps and it runs flawlessly (720p @ 20Mbps is a whole lot better than ATV's 540p @ 4Mbps!). Even photo slideshows work great, I have the last 6 yrs organized by album and the PS3 has a Ken Burns effect. Oh, and it plays Blu-ray! The Sony Store was offering $150 off, so not a bad $250 spent! ...I don't work for Sony, really... in fact, I use Canon or Panasonic for DV!

2. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

3. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

It sure does! Slightly off topic, but I believe iMovie converts everything to 30p for editing... true? How can you take the 50i/60i, edit it and keep it as such?

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah that is actually one of the Main reasons I want a ps3 just so that I can stream my movies and tv shows to my tv upstairs.

5. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

If we're talking AVCHD import here, the AIC video is still interlaced (and you can set the import framerate - for me that means 50i, 25fps, for you 60i, 29.97fps). You get the option to deinterlace when you go to Share.

Bo!

6. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, AVCHD. Actually this is getting more into iMovie stuff, so I posted a question on another thread.

7. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    My Sony HC1 HD Camcorder got damaged in a fire a week ago. I need to replace it now, but am thinking of going tapeless, and now knowing I can view content with my PS3 sounds like a nice plus. So basically, instead of connecting the camcorder to the TV, i would just take out the card and connect to the PS3 and watch? This would mean that I need to find a camcorder that record to a card rather than a hard drive, right?

I'm looking to replace my HC1 with a similar "budget HD" camcorder. I'm thinking a Canon because I have a Canon XH-A1 for my "pro" needs (the term pro is used very loosely for me). From what I understand, I could use a Canon Budget HD camcorder alongside my XH-A1 pretty well.

ideally, I would get a camcorder that records both to tape and tapeless so I could have a tape for archiving if I so choosed.

btw, for anyone looking for a PS3, keep an eye on slickdeals.net because there are deals there for PS3 for $150 w/ the Sony Credit. That's what I'm doing (I need to replace my PS3 too from the fire)

8. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

You got it. You can watch raw 1080i via USB reader or copy the contents to the internal drive or an external (note: with v2.5 the PS3 now plays .MTS files, but without the original AVCHD file structure it creates a 1/2 second freeze frame between clips. It seems you can't have 2 AVHCD file structures on the same hard drive because they have to have the same folder name. For that reason I choose to play the files off a flash card.)

Ideally it'd be nice to store all my videos as locally and get a larger internal drive. However, first attempts create too much blurred panning (a product of editing not the PS3). I'm still experimenting on this.

Flash recording is much easier to work with than HDD. However, you may be able to pull the files off and onto a SD card -- not sure.

The H100 is a great deal right now. Using livecashback you can get one for around $500.

9. wheelhot macrumors 68020

And that's why I say the PS3 is better :D, cause it can do other stuffs then gaming

10. SlaveToTheIMAC macrumors member

Want To Make Your PS3 Even Better?

I swapped my lousy 60Gig HD with a 320 Gig. I have ALOT of HD movies and images and the 60 Gig filled fast. Check out you tube and it is a 5 minute swap. Only headache is saving any data you have on your old HD. I used an external HD and it worked perfectly.

BTW: ANYONE HAVE MEDIALINK? I WANT TO KNOW IF YOU CAN TRANSFER IMAGES FROM THE PS3 TO THE IMAC. I already can send them to the PS3 but not from the PS3 to the Imac.

11. OrganMusic macrumors 6502

I have it; It works great for showing my pictures on the ps3, but I'll look into transferring stuff off the ps3

And on that subject, can 1080i broadcasts recorded on an elgato eyetv be played on a ps3 via medialink? I assume they would play perfectly or not at all. I'm thinking of setting up the elgato as a DVR solution. I do have everything hardwired so there's no WiFi bandwidth problems.

12. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

I haven't been able to get my 1TB G-Drive Q to work with my PS3. I used disk utility to format it to FAT 32. Any suggestions? Is it because it is GUID? What about using an iPod as a hdd with PS3? What do I do for that?

13. OrganMusic macrumors 6502

I've recently discoverd you can play recordings made with eyeTV over medialink without even having to export anything. Just add the eyetv archive folder to the shares in the medialink panel.

It will play 1080i stuff that looks exactly like the broadcast, complete with 5.1 sound.

The only strange things I've found:

-If you start playing a file on the PS3 while it's still being recorded, the PS3 will only get as far as the point that was being recorded when you started playback. I found restarting the PS3 fixes this.

-If you edit the recording in the eyetv editor, weird things happen when you play across the edit points, even if you hit "compact" to rewrite the file. It's as if the PS3 has some kind of cache that doesn't get refreshed readily.

14. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

You must create a folder named "VIDEO" at the root of the 1TB drive and put all video files in this (with no folder sub-structure).

I prefer to use MediaLink since it supports any folder structure and I can organize everything my own way.

15. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

Does MediaLink work well for streaming photos? I have been copying my photos over manually via USB drive.

16. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

I had tried that. Still no luck. I'd really love to get this to work!

17. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I think ultimately I will be getting a Canon HV30 because I like archiving to minidv. Just seems the easiest and cheapest method. I really wish there was something out there that would let me do both tape and HDD - or Flash recording as you pointed out the conveniences.

But if I could do AVHCD, this would be a nice way to get more out of my PS3

I want to do this so bad, but want do something involving a middleman. I want to swap the HD in my 2.2ghz MBP and get something bigger. and then take that 120gb HD and put that in a 60gb PS3. and then take that 60gb HD and.. umm.. I don't know. But I am curious on how it works in taking my games and downloads that are currently on the PS3 to the new hard drive.

Actually, I don't think I have anything on here yet because I haven't turned it on. I bought a new 80gb PS3 from Dell using a coupon to get it for $320 and traded it w/ my friend for his old 60gb Backwards compatible PS3. So since I haven't put my account on it yet, perhaps now would be the ideal time to do swaps that I want to do?

I need to know what HD to buy and look out for on slickdeals though.

Ooh, this would be nice. Even better, I would like to use my wife's old iPod which I don't think even works properly anymore. but not as a permanent item to use for the PS3 but maybe something temporary? For watching somethign off of and then deleting? My wife's old iPod is an HP Invent iPod if it helps give some idea of age.

18. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

i haven't used it for photos, but i know you can stream your iphoto or aperture library. it looks like it's similar to the way you navigate through the music library in itunes.

19. OrganMusic macrumors 6502

I don't really use iPhoto or anything, so I just have my Pictures folder listed as a source in the pref panel. I just go to photos on the ps3 and select medialink and my entire photo collection is there complete with folder structure, and access is really pretty fast. I think you can copy to the ps3 HD from there if you want as well.