PS3 media server and the 2.4GHz MBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tarzan911, May 16, 2010.

1. Tarzan911 macrumors newbie

Hello folks

I like to watch me some movies on my PS3 through the PS3 media server from my laptop. My last laptop was a crappy dell and if I tried to play a movie that was 720p or 1080p the picture would be very choppy and unwatchable. On enquiring with one of my more technology oriented friends I found out that the processor in the dell was not powerful enough to play the video smoothly.
    Therefore my question is: Is the the new 13" MBP with the 2.4GHz processor fast enough to comfortably play videos in 720p and 1080p format via the media server?

2. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

What was the spec of your last laptop? The 13" can definitely handle it.

Could be the network speeds I guess though.

3. Tarzan911 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't remember exactly but it was pretty average two years ago when I bought it. It was a core 2 duo though.

I have a 10mb broadband internet speed

4. frenchie0101 macrumors 6502

its nothing to do with your internet speed but your router speed is the vital one . If its a standard 54mbps that would cause your problem, my time capsule handles HD content very well

5. Tarzan911 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I have a pretty good wireless-N router so I think should be alright there.

6. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

To get it to work you'll need the PS3 connected via an ethernet cable to your router, the wireless G card in the console just won't cope with the bandwidth for streamed HD video. As mentioned above you'll need a wireless N router to connect the MBP to. With that set up it'll work fine.

Edit: Posted before you put up about having a wireless N router lol.

7. Tarzan911 thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent! I got my PS3 hooked up wired to the router so I should be all set! Thanx for the info.