PS3 media server

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GtotheK, Dec 21, 2009.

1. GtotheK macrumors member

Hi guys,
    I'm looking to stream movies, etc to my ps3 from my macbook. I'm not really sure how to do this. Also, what is a good software to use? And what is the process? Just download and everything works from there? Or do I have to configure things and do any coding? Appreciate your help!

2. jbcandkc macrumors member

I am using Nullriver MediaLink ($20). It works great. I stream music and photos no problem. My wireless network is fast enough to stream video that is iPhone sized, but larger files can be copied via MediaLink to the PS3 hard drive to watch locally.

http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink

3. Nuck81 macrumors regular

4. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

Yeah I bought medialink for my ps3 also, but like he said...only works for streaming very light video .....generally speaking though, I would recommend buying a dedicated mac for the tv....that is what I did and it works great, I almost would give up the ps3 but it makes a great bluray player and plays hard to read dvds easily, so it is worth keeping in the system just for that. I know longer use it for media at all

5. jbcandkc macrumors member

I tried using the PS3 Media Server, but I could never get the PS3 to see the server. So I tried MediaLink (it has a free trial) and never looked back. I'm going to run a ethernet cable to the PS3 to see if wired network improves the video for larger files.

6. Nuck81 macrumors regular

Mine found it instantly. I have both the PS3 and Mac wired into my router. Maybe that was the difference. But as soon as I start the App the PS3 shows my mac.

7. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

I am using PlayBack and it works amazingly well. I just watched Saw 6 last night on my PS3 through my uMBP. I don't even have to do anything else. As long as my PS3 and uMBP are on the same network, it finds the network automatically and as soon as I start PlayBack I can see the folders I am sharing.

8. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

PS3 Media Server works great for me. If there's ever an issue with my PS3 never seeing my Mac, usually "forcing" a certain interface (either Ethernet or Wireless-N) does the trick as sometimes the program defaults to one or the other even when its not enabled.

9. jnguyen4 macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

I use Vuze. You just drag in the media file of your choice and it will show up when you search for media servers on the ps3. Assuming that you are connected to the same network.

10. GtotheK thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the suggestions guys, but are there instructions? or is it just plug and play? what do i have to chose on the ps3 to stream media? and someone mentioned light video? what does that mean? and does it work with hulu desktop?