PS3 NTSC/PAL problem

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Keytachi, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Keytachi macrumors regular

Hi! I have a PAL PS3, and sometimes i go to the american store to get some demos. But sometimes they play in black and white :S
    What can i do to put them PAL compatible?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can't without a lot of hardware. The encoding of the signals, the resolution, and refresh rates are different.

TEG

3. Keytachi thread starter macrumors regular

There is no way at all? And what i find strange is that some demos from the american store are playable in color (Star Wars: The Force Unleashed), but others aren't (Armored Cored 4) :S

4. IanC macrumors regular

Some demos might have PAL Support coded in.

How old is your TV? Most TVs from around 1999 have support for NSTC.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Is he even using an RGB scart cable ? I suspect he's just using the composite cable that came with the PS3 and maybe the scart adpater for the composite (which does not make it an RGB cable)

Time to get a new TV ;) (or at least invest an RGB scart cable and make sure your TV supports PAL 60 which pretty much most do in the last 10 years of manufacture)

If you do get a HD TV or even a monitor for gaming - you will at least save yourself all the hassle over PAL and NTSC.

6. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

Yeah before even buying a new TV, check which cables you are using... Sony is really cheap and only provides basic composite cables which make the games look like crap, you can buy an RGB cable for PS/PS2/PS3 (they all use the same) for very cheap and that will most likely help you. Also the picture quality will be a lot better.

7. Keytachi thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, i'm using the cable that came with the PS3 (actually i think its the PS2 one...) but anyways i'll look into buying a RGB one!
    Thanks for the replies!

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't own a PS3 but I have tried using NTSC games in a PAL PS2. The system will output them in PAL60, so your TV needs to support that. I'm using a composite cable without any issues, so it really looks like a PAL60 issue rather than the type of cable you're using.

Of course, things may be completely different for a PS3, but I assume that they're kinda similar :)